View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2008, 11:07 PM   #4
Turbe
Professional Supporter

ControlCAL.ini Setting Descriptions

Default Settings (Note: ControlCAL will default most values if the ControlCAL.ini file is missing or improper values are entered):
Quote:
[Profile]
Forced_Wait_For=-1
Startup_Load="C:\YourProfile.cdp"

[AutoSend]
AutoSend_Timing=15
Forced_Wait_For=[-1, 0-2000]
If this is Set between 0ms to 2000ms, ControlCAL will always use this value for the Wait_For Communication Setting instead of the one entered and saved with the Display Profile (helpful if the Display Profile is Locked). This is the time (in ms) between commands sent to the Display. Set to -1 to use the Wait_For value entered and saved with the Display Profile.

Startup_Load=Path/Display Profile
If you want to load a specific Display Profile each time ControlCAL is started, enter the Display Profile's Full Path and File Name without quotes.

AutoSend_Timing=[1-60]
How long the AutoSend Window is open/closed for sending commands when Auto Send is enabled (in ms). The Default [15] will allow commands to be sent approximately once per second. Use a smaller number to allow more steps to be sent per second, larger for less steps. Setting this to 60 would allow commands to be sent approximately once every two seconds.

More information concerning these Settings can be found Below.
Wolfy tested various Settings and reporting his results Below.

NOTE:
Make sure ControlCAL.ini is in the same directory as ControlCAL's .EXE.
If you make any changes while ControlCAL is running, you need to restart ControlCAL.

Great feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
[Profile]
Forced_Wait_For=1000
The Wait_Time saved within the Pioneer Display Profiles is 500ms, so I would not set this to 1000. Yesterday, if I remember correctly, gatornavy reported that 100 works for him. A lower number will improve performance. I am not sure I would go that low, maybe 200 but if you experience issues, set this higher or to -1. It will depend on your computer's processor, COM Port speed and the Display itself.

I won't change the saved Display Profile setting until many more have tested as 500ms was recommended to me.

Please try setting it to less than 500 (you can even set 0 but I doubt the Display would consistently keep up with communications) and post your results here. I recommend trying 400, 300, 200 and 100.

100 should make it feel zippy..

Remember, this setting will force the Wait_Time value you entered (if not -1) for all Profiles loaded in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy View Post
[AutoSend]
AutoSend_Timing=1
Try setting this to 10, 6 and 5. IMO, best settings are < 30, but I did want 31 to 60 just in case....

I personally liked 15 but you will want to find what works best for you....

Please post feedback..

-Shawn

Test Report, ControlCAL.ini (Using the Pioneer 8G C3 Display Profiles):

Hardware/Software:
  • ControlCAL v. 1.41 Beta2 build 12.
  • M/B: ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe.
  • CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2.09 GHz).
  • RAM: 2 GB Corsair.
  • OPsys: Windows XP Pro, SP2, fully up to date.
  • COM1 setting: BPS: 9600, Data Bits: 8, Parity: None, Stop Bits: 1, Flow Control: None.
  • Display: Pioneer PDP-428XD, RS-232 setting: 9600BPS
  • Cable: Straight serial cable female-female DB9, approximately 3 m.
ControlCAL.ini settings:

Forced_Wait_For:

Legend: Setting: Refresh/Send All (TV Response Time/ControlCAL Response Time); End Calibration (TV Response Time/ControlCAL Response Time); No issues/Issues.

All measurements are in seconds. I used Profile P1 for all measurements.

By TV Response Time I mean the time it takes from start to fisnish for the TV to show that it has completed receiving/sending the data, e.g. the time from start to finish form when you click Refresh until the ISF menu on the TV has stopped flashing.

By ControlCAL Response Time I mean the time it takes from start to finish for ControlCAL's UI to show that it has completed receiving/sending the data, e.g. the time from start to finish from when you click Refresh and the UI shows the message "Polling Display - Please Wait..." and until it disappears.
  • 1000: Refresh/Send All (21/21); End Calibration (26/33); No issues (1).
  • -1 (Default = 500): Refresh/Send All (11/11); End Calibration (26/17); No issues (2).
  • 400: Refresh/Send All (11/8); End Calibration (26/13); No issues.
  • 300: Refresh/Send All (11/6); End Calibration (26/10); No issues.
  • 200: Refresh/Send All (11/4); End Calibration (26/7); No issues.
  • 100: Refresh/Send All (11/2); End Calibration (26/4); Issues (3).
(1): I know that the setting of 1000 makes no sense, I only included it for reference to other settings. It does however make for a better timing for when the "ISF Calibration Mode has been disabled" dialog appears after having clicked End Calibration

(2): ControlCAL is slightly faster than the TV.

(3): After having entered ISF Day/Night, when clicking Refresh the following labels turns red: Sharpness, Color Management-R, G-Low, B-Low, R Gamma, G Gamma. Subsequent clicks on Refresh or Send All turns some labels back to normal, but never all of the labels. I can still move the red sliders and the values are being sent to the display and were saved when I click Save Settings and End Calibration so I'm not sure if this only is a "cosmetic" issue.

AutoSend_Timing:

No issue with any setting from the default of 15 to 10, 6 or 5. The only difference I've noticed is that for the settings 6 and 5 the sliders for Color Management has slightly better response, meaning that I can select one of the CM sliders and click on the right or left arrow at a rate of about two presses a second and the values are continuously being sent to the TV. With the settings above that I need to press with a rate about one press per second otherwise the slider won't change its setting from one press to the next.

Conclusion: From my testing I have only had issues with the setting Forced_Wait_For set to 100 and even for that setting nothing happened other than some labels turning red.

Having said that, one might have to select a different RS-232 setting in the Pioneer to benefit from the lower settings for Forced_Wait_For, otherwise you will still be waiting for the TV to finish(?). Personally though I see no need for it, so I will stick with the default settings which I am very pleased with.

Last edited by Turbe; 08-16-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote