Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > DIY Calibration - Display Devices > Flat Panels - Plasma > Pioneer

Notices
Old 09-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
Lalakis
Registered Supporter

Default ISF Auto

Can anyone, explain the above setting vs the ISF Day or Night. What Auto it is? Brightness?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
Turbe
Professional Supporter

2/9/2009 CURRENT INFO IN THIS POST BELOW.

Here you go:

Quote:
isf-AUTO added in this time makes the automatic adjustment of picture quality corresponding to the brightness from the room light sensor based on the adjustment value of isf-AUTO. isf-DAY / isf-NIGHT doesn't take the influence of the room light sensor.

Last edited by Turbe; 02-09-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
The light sensor is automatically used with Optimum and ISF-Auto. Ditto with the color sensor.

Quote:
Does the color sensor change other settings in ISF-Auto (contrast, brighness, sharpness)? I know it does in Optimum which makes for such poor PQ in this mode.
Quote:
Contrast, Color, and Brightness.

Quote:
Also, if the color sensor is working in ISF-Auto, is a color calibration even needed when this mode is activated???
Quote:
Color calibration??? ISF-Auto runs off of calibrated settings you place in it's memory. That includes a color setting.

Last edited by Turbe; 09-18-2008 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Saladshooter
Calibration Enthusiast
Registered Supporter

When calibrating ISF-Auto the luminance levels don't represent what will be seen after you exit. Does anyone have a good place to start with the Contrast setting so that ISF-Auto will provide sensible output in both light & dark situations?
CalMAN
ControlCal
Saladshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 07:39 PM   #5
D-Nice

Charter Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladshooter View Post
When calibrating ISF-Auto the luminance levels don't represent what will be seen after you exit. Does anyone have a good place to start with the Contrast setting so that ISF-Auto will provide sensible output in both light & dark situations?
30 or 31
D-Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D-Nice For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2008, 03:27 AM   #6
mlaun
Registered Supporter

on my set, isf-Auto wants calibrating to brightest settings. Ergo: a high contrast value. It will never get brighter then what it's set to, but deos get dimmer depending on ambient light levels. I wound up with contrast at 37.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #7
Biggiesized

turbe, I want to know if the following is possible:

You calibrate ISF-Night mode for 35 ftL, D65, Rec. 709, et cetera.

You turn on a light switch in your room (and thus you'll have a consistent, repeatable ambient light) and then proceed to calibrate the ISF-Day setting for greater light output, D65, Rec. 709, et cetera.

Is it possible to have ISF-Auto detect the light switch being flipped on and have your picture settings go from ISF-Night to ISF-Day?

Or does ISF-Auto simply act like "Optimum" mode using your other ISF presets as a base reference?
Biggiesized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:47 PM   #8
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Check Post #3 above.. D-Nice has done testing with isf Auto (using the sensors).

It won't switch to isf Day/Night as needed but works off the calibrated settings for the isf Auto memory. Each Input can have its own isf Auto memory with different settings.

If you unplug your color sensor you can use isf Auto as another memory like the other two Per for that Input (I believe there is another setting that you have to disable, I need to check with D-Nice since he discovered this).
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Ruiner46
Registered Supporter

I spoke to D-Nice over PM at AVSForum about this same issue. Hopefully he doesn't mind me reprinting his responses.

Quote:
Finally, are your settings for ISF-Auto similar to ISF-Day or completely different?
Quote:
They are the same as ISF-Day.

Quote:
One more question, with ISF Auto, do you have both the light sensor and the color sensor turned on in the setup menu? With the sensors on, do they affect other modes, specifically ISF Day and ISF Night?
Quote:
There is no need to turn those sensors on as they already are active with ISF-Auto. For the best results, you do have to turn on intellegence for ISF-Auto mode.
Ruiner46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:47 AM   #10
wattsup
Registered Supporter

Ruiner46,

Thanks for your very helpful reply.

Answers to questions often generate new questions, so here it goes:

Since the light and color sensors are turned on automatically in ISF Auto mode, how does one shut off the sensors in this mode in order to allow the ISF Auto memory to act as another "regular ISF" memory for which you don't want the light and color sensors to remain on?

wattsup
wattsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Try unplugging the Color Sensor (does not apply to the Monitors) and disable Intelligent Mode (in ISFccc).
Old 09-30-2008, 03:55 PM   #12
jayp1919
Professional Supporter

Seeing as you can turn on the room light sensor menus and intelligence in ISF Day/Night do they effect those modes? If so what makes ISF Auto any different than Day/Night other than the fact that ISF Auto just works without having to turn the room light sensor on/off?

Last edited by jayp1919; 09-30-2008 at 08:10 PM.
jayp1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #13
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt14942 View Post
I have a question for any of the ISF a/v mode users whether calibrated for you or if you DIY with ControlCal. I recently had my ISF a/v modes calibrated, ISF Auto is just using my ISF Day settings. I know for a fact that the intelligence setting is set to off. Is my ISF Auto a/v mode still able to function properly with intelligence set to off? I ask this because I beleive I read that Intelligence needs to be on. I assume that ISF Auto should work like the Optimum a/v mode does adjusting the picture brightness based on the amount of ambient light in the room. I also have the color sensor on and would like to take it off and was wondering if that is also needed for ISF Auto to work properly? Any ISF experts out there that could clue me in on this, it would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Mike
D-Nice has done the most testing I think and for best results he suggests that Intelligent Mode be enabled.

For my isf Auto, I do have Intelligent Mode enabled but the 141 doesn't have a Color Sensor.. I haven't taken any readings with Intelligent Mode disabled for comparison.

Quote:
Since the 141 does't have a color sensor I am guessing that it is probably not neccessary for the ISF Auto a/v mode to work. The Intelligence setting is another matter. I am just curious how differently the ISF Auto a/v mode works with Intelligence off vs. on. I have it set to off and it appears to be working. Atleast it does seem to brighten up a bit when I turn on the lights. It could just be my imagination.
Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb View Post
My experience is as follows:

1) If Intelligence is off - nothing happens.
2) ISF Auto does not automatically adjust color or tint
3) ISF Auto with intelligence ON only automatically adjusts the contrast and brightness.

Dnice has stated that the color and tint should be adjusted automatically, but i have yet to see it and i use ISF auto a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
The color will be adjusted if you use the color sensor. I highly doubt you will visually see this change(which is a good thing), but your i1pro should be able to detect the luminance/saturation changes
Quote:
On the 111FD and 151FD, you have to have intellegence set to "On" for ISF-Auto to work as designed. I'm not sure about the 141. However, you can always test it out by watching your TV in a pitch black room. If your ISF-Auto was setup with a copy of ISF-Day settings, there should be a distinct difference in brightness while in a pitch black room switching between the two modes.
Quote:
Since Intelligence is set to off than I am not getting any changes to the brightness or contrast? So maybe what I am detecting, since I do have the color sensor on, is changes to the color (luminance/saturation). Is that still possible with intelligence set to off but with the color sensor on and enabled?
Thanks,
Mike
Quote:
I'm not sure on the 141s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeb View Post
it must be very subtle because i really don't see it and i do have the color sensor connected.

must be just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemath
good news. The auto and day are identical, unless you change the inteligent mode from 0 to 1 for auto. Glad it worked out.

I continue to be absolutely giggled over the isf day mode for blurays. Tonight, even my father in law, who is not much for details could see a large improvement between pure and isf day. The dvd 300 looked much worse than I remembered due to the bluray in isf day looking beyond what I had thought possible. in pure mode the difference between bluray and dvd is more subtle.

The big difference has got to be holding the acurate greyscale, while increasing lumens. The more range you have from 0 to full light the more room for shades as well, the pop comes from this added range. 3d depth like is not achievable unless you unlock the isf. Like has been said before, a calibrated pure mode is good, a calibrated isf day is the same accuracy but with more range...meaning pure on steroids. lcd brightness, without the lcd paint by number look.

Strange how isf night has 22 contrast, yet seems as bright as pure mode with 38 contrast. Perhaps a perfect breakin as per the said dnice way might be "better" but I am convinced no matter how you watched your tv till now, the unlock will improve the pure mode in any case. both might not be d65, but apples to apples, it will be better.

Last edited by Turbe; 12-31-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Old 01-01-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinergi
I assume the light sensor can not be turned off/on but the color sensor can. So, when D-Nice says it is automatically used by ISF-Auto, I would assume it would have to be turned to either mode 1 or mode 2. Or, maybe it uses it even when it's turned off. Some are also saying isf-auto does nothing unless intelligence is turned on.

I've read that the color sensor is specific to the mode in which it is turned on but I have also read that it is global. Very confusing. Hopefully, someone can definitively answer these questions.

Doug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn94
I believe the manual states that mode 1 uses the light sensor only and mode 2 uses the light sensor and the color sensor.
Quote:
The color sensor is automatically used with Optimum mode regardless of what you set under the options menu. The color sensor will automatically be used in ISF-Auto if you have intelligence turned on for ISF-Auto. The color sensor will be on for ALL A/V modes if you turn the room light sensor to "Mode 2" in the options menu.

Quote:
Does "room light sensor" in the options menu refer to the optional color sensor that you install?

Doug
Quote:
Yes.
Quote:
If I want ISF-Auto to do its thing (which I assume is to automatically adjust contrast, brightness, and color according to D65), but I don't want the color sensor to affect Pure, ISF-Day, or ISF-Night (or any other mode for that matter) then I need to turn intelligence on for just the ISF - Auto and make sure the "room light sensor" is set to "off". Correct?

Doug
Quote:
DO NOT turn on the room light sensor in the options menu for Optimum mode and/or ISF-Auto. The room light sensor control is ONLY for those who would like to use the room light sensor and/or color sensor for the other A/V modes (Pure, Movie, Sports, etc). If you want only use the room light sensor and not the color sensor for ISF-Auto, remove the color sensor from your display and turn intelligence "On" in the ISF-Auto menu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coladabra
Does anyone know if IFSccc Auto can be used as an additional preset if the light sensor is off, Intelligence mode is disabled, and the color sensor is not installed?
Quote:
Nope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509
I use it as an extra ISFDay with a slightly higher color temp for sports.

Note: There is not a Color Sensor on the Signature Elite Monitors or the KRP-M's so the info in regards to the Color Sensor is NA on these Models.

Last edited by Turbe; 02-02-2009 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 PM   #15
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Current Info:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur
I believe the isf auto mode uses the sensors if intellegence is on.Joel <---- THIS IS INCORRECT
Quote:
It uses the sensors regardless of the intellegence mode setting.
Quote:
ISF-Auto uses the sensors regardless of any other setting you attempt to turn on or off.

If you want to use the sensors for any other mode beyond ISF-Auto and Optimum mode, you have to go into the options menu and activate them yourself.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #16
jmschnur
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
Current Info:
Yes- DiNice was very nice to correct me. What does intellegence=on do in Auto?

Joel
jmschnur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #17
scoddee
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmschnur View Post
Yes- DiNice was very nice to correct me. What does intellegence=on do in Auto?

Joel
+1, if sensors automatically turn on in ISF Auto, why turn Intelligence "ON" ?
scoddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
scoddee
Registered Supporter

Quote:
There is no need to turn those sensors on as they already are active with ISF-Auto. For the best results, you do have to turn on intellegence for ISF-Auto mode

Why? What "extra" happens ?

Thanks, Scotty
scoddee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #19
tcwerner
Professional Supporter

I wonder if by turning on intelligence you are actually turning it on for the input not the ISF-auto mode(which as it seems here is on regardless). I would have liked to use the ISF-auto mode as another "static" mode which doesn't seem possible. Is this correct?
tcwerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 01:25 PM   #20
Turbe
Professional Supporter

The Sensor(s) will be used.

I personally use a inexpensive HDMI matrix 4x2 switch to use 2 Inputs on a 141FD since I run my sources through an AVR with only 1 HDMI out.