Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > DIY Calibration - Display Devices > Flat Panels - Plasma > Panasonic > Panasonic Plasma User Posted Settings

Notices
Old 03-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #1
JimF37

Default Panasonic TC-P55GT30 "Custom" Settings

I've had Pioneer plasmas exclusively since my first HDTV and have never had a Panasonic. Fast forward 10+ years and Pio's are not longer made so the Panasonic was in my future.

Decided to buy a P55GT30 [lots of reasons-let me know if you're interested] and as soon as it was received, the pixel break-in procedure as detailed in the "2011 Panasonic" calibration settings forum was started and completed. Very worthwhile exercise for the TV.

So next thing was to 'calibrate' the TV . . . however I don't have any cal hw+sw to do the job, so I used some DVD programs especially the "THX Optimizer" as the main source plus my "eyeballs". A poor substitute for a meter + sw but the best I have.

First you need to get decent white balance and the SM W/B parameters are the way to do this. Without a 'meter', it's hard work but you get there will patience and lots of effort.

Originally, I liked a slight blueish cast (Cool1) as opposed to a red-brown cast in Warm color temp setting. However, I have grown to like this color temp mode but really can't get 'balanced' video with it. My TV seems to have a stubborn yellow-green (Y-G) cast that has forced me to use "Normal" color temp. It seems that the "bluish" cast of Normal balances the Y-G and results in a normal face color and a good white balance, not reference but good.

I used 1080i and 1080p signals from two (2) satellite receivers and OTA signals from my UHF yagi (some 720p and 1080i) to arrive at the settings below.

I have an ideal TV room b/c it's consistently dark all the time. Also the walls are paneled and dark! There's no reflections from windows to worry about. So with a uniform level of light, day is almost as good as night!

I still feel that AGC is needed. Try this for yourself on a high contrast foreground with a lowlight black background; without AGC, the lowlight detail is missed. In order to see these lowlights w/o AGC, you must turn up the brightness.

***** Panasonic V2.1 FW Patch *****

*** Update: 12/5/13 *** Settings require change due to failed SC board and SU, SD scan buffer boards. Video has different overall color balance so I've tried to use "Warm1" color temp. Seems like I've made some inroads to decent white balance.

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Custom
Contrast: +82
Brightness: +51
Color: +27
Tint: 0
Sharpness: +41
Color temp: Warm1
Color Mgmt: Off
Photo enhancement: [grayed out]
C.A.T.S.: Off
Video NR: Off
-- Pro settings submenu
Color space: Normal
W/B high R: +2
W/B high G: -4
W/B high B: 0
W/B low R: +4
W/B low G: -4
W/B low B: 0
Black extension: +5
Gamma adjustment: 2.2
Panel brightness: Mid
Contour emphasis: Off
AGC: +3

-- Aspect adjustments submenu
Screen format: Full
HD size: Size 1
H size: Size 1
Zoom adjustments: [grayed out]

-- HDMI settings: [no change from default]
HDMI content: Off

--Advanced picture submenu
3D Y/C filter: Off [grayed out]
Color matrix: HD
Block NR: Off
Mosquito NR: Off
Motion smoother: Off
Black level: Light
3:2 Pulldown: On
24p Direct in: 60Hz [grayed out]

Any comments are welcome . . .

Last edited by JimF37; 12-05-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Setting changes after replacement of SC + SU + SD boards: 12/5/13
JimF37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Old 03-31-2012, 01:49 AM   #2
JimF37

Default More Panasonic P55GT30 Settings - "THX"

These settings are for my P55GT30 that have evolved as the TV has aged (500+ hrs).

*** Panasonic V2.1 FW update has been installed ***

The "THX" picture mode and produces a bit softer picture with a "neutral" caste using "Normal" color temp. [Note the original color temp recommended is "Warm2".]

Settings changed after SC board and SU + SD boards were replaced. Color balance is completely different than before. --- 1/10/14 ----

--Picture menu
Picture mode: THX
Contrast: +83
Brightness: +57
Color: +44
Sharpness: +60

--- Pro Settings ----
[grayed out] - No SM changes are necessary -

-- HDMI settings:
[no change from default]

Mosquito NR: On

This results in a superb, natural, balanced color HDTV picture! I highly recommend these settings if you can't calibrate your HDTV yourself. After the SC+SU/SD board replacement, the settings produce excellent, bright video that just a 'tad' bit softer than the my Custom mode.

Last edited by JimF37; 12-05-2016 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Setting changes after SC + SU +SD boards replaced:1/10/14 update
Old 04-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
JimF37

Default Pan TC-P55GT30 SM Procedure

This is a “how-to” gain access to the Service Mode [SM] in TC-P55GT30. This procedure allows you to change the values in the “W/B” DRV and CUT settings while simultaneously seeing the effect that the change makes.

I recommend that you RECORD the selected value BEFORE changing it!

1) Turn on the TV. Warm it up 1/2 hour or so before making any adjustments.
2) While holding down the Vol - (minus) on the back, right side of the display, press the “info” button on the remote 3 times. The SM will appear after a few seconds.
3) Press 1 on the remote once to get to the “Adjust” screen.
4) Press 9 on the remote to cycle to the desired mode. Choices are “Vivid”, “Standard”, “Cinema” and “Custom”. You can not access the “THX” or “Game” mode.
5) Press 1 on the remote once to get to the “WB-Adjust” screen.
6) Press 7 on the remote until the color temperature is selected; choices are “Normal”, “Warm” and “Cool”.
7) Press 3 on the remote to cycle through R-DRV, G-DRV, B-DRV, R-CUT, G-CUT and B-CUT and enter the offset values desired. [Do not change the “ALL-DRV” and “ALL-CUT” values.]
8) Enter values for the desired parameters; the value for each are saved as you cycle through each DRV and CUT parameter.
9) In 2010 Panasonic HDTVs, “EXIT” would exit the SM; on 2011, this does NOT work; I use “Power” button to turn off the TV.

The object of this procedure is to be able to “SEE” the screen while you make DRV and CUT adjustments. Step (3) and Step (4) facilitate this and eliminate the need to make changes “blindly”; ie make a change, exit the SM and view the results. If no-good, then back to SM to make further changes.

If you have cal equipment, press 5 on the remote to bring up a center white test pattern. Read the RGB parameters via CalManV4 or equivalent.

Using this procedure, I was able to change the “Custom” mode to get more screen-pop. Having owned Pioneer HDTVs, the overall contrast and color brightness is now emulated with the current values posted. The THX mode is more conventional.

Last edited by JimF37; 04-18-2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Add additional data . .
Old 04-18-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
JimF37

Default Updated with V2.1 FW . . .

I've spent a lot of time w/ this panel and it's a bugger! The colors are very difficult to control and with different (OTA, Satellite source1 and source2), the delivered picture appears with the different sources appears as different as night and day.

The green cast requires either more Red and Blue drv to balance it out or G-drv reduction. It appears that I can't get any more "red" since it is at the top (FF) so reduction is in order.

V2.1 firmware is a "Color Balance" fix since the fact that Panny designed/released this shows that there's a problem w/ some VTs and GTs. Otherwise why would it exist??

I loaded it today and the panel video is improved! So much so that only small W/B corrections are necessary. It appears that red and blue drive has been "balanced" but there's still a green cast to HD video. However, th panel appears more stable than before V2.1.

So the CUSTOM and THX posts above have been changed to reflect the addition of V2.1 Color FW update. Note D-nice SM W/B changes are not needed with this update.

All of the above comments were due to a failing SC and SD boards. It took almost 1 year for this to finally fail causing the 7 blinks failure mode. After the boards were replaced, the varying color problem went away.

Last edited by JimF37; 12-05-2016 at 01:17 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JimF37 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 AM   #5
JimF37

Default How about using "Vivid" after V2.1 patch . .

After installing the V2.1 patch and using the 'best' settings available, I am not fully satisfied with the "Custom" mode. It seems to produce lack-luster screen images. Coming from a Pioneer HDTV, the "mid" panel brightness appears to what Pio called "low"! Those of you that have (or had) a Pio, know what I'm saying. I hadn't LOOKED at the other modes so maybe there's a Pio mode in there someplace.

Well, there is and it's called "Vivid". Most are put-off by this when tried b/c the COLOR (default = Cool2) is jacked up as well as the CONTRAST, BRIGHTNESS. But there's something that happens when the Vivid mode is used; the PANEL goes into what appears to be "HIGH" brightness mode similar to a Pioneer.

Try it for yourself, cycle between "custom" and "vivid" while watching the screen; the contrast goes to another level showing more luminance IMO. Make sure to turn down the CONTRAST, BRIGHTNESS and COLOR to reasonable settings.

After tweaking it, I've come up with some settings.

*** Update: 8/6/12 ***

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Vivid
Contrast: +81
Brightness: +69
Color: +31
Sharpness: +55

You will need to access the SM to make the following changes. I recommend that you RECORD the selected value for your TV BEFORE changing it! The procedure for doing this is at the bottom of the post.

SM Offsets: for "Warm" ------------ Org Value ----- New Value
R-DRV: Vol - (minus) 4 times ---------- FF ------------ FB
G-DRV: Vol + (plus) 5 times ----------- E6 ------------ EB <-- 5/23/12
B-DRV: Vol - (minus) 5 times ---------- 65 ------------ 60 <-- 5/5/12
R-CUT: no change ------------------- 80 ------------ 80
G-CUT: no change ------------------- 80 ------------ 80
B-CUT: Vol - (minus) 6 times --------- 80 ------------ 7A

HDMI content: Off

*** How to access the xxGT30 Service Mode ***

1) Turn on the TV. Warm it up ˝ hour or so before making any adjustments.
2) While holding down the Vol - (minus) on the back, right side of the display, press the "Info" button on the remote 3 times. The SM will appear after a few seconds.
3) Press 1 on the remote once to get to the "Adjust" screen.
4) Press 9 on the remote to cycle to the desired mode. Choices are "Vivid", "Standard", "Cinema" and "Custom". Select the "Vivid" mode.
5) Press 1 on the remote once to get to the "WB-Adjust" screen.
6) Press 7 on the remote until the color temperature is selected; choices are "Normal", "Warm" and "Cool". Select "Warm".
7) Press 3 on the remote to cycle through R-DRV, G-DRV, B-DRV, R-CUT, G-CUT and B-CUT and enter the offset values desired. [Do not change the "ALL-DRV" and "ALL-CUT" values.]
8) Enter values for the desired parameters; the value for each are saved as you cycle through each DRV and CUT parameter.
9) To exit the SM, press the "Power" button on the remote to save values and turn off the TV.

This procedure lets you "see" the screen while you make DRV and CUT adjustments. Step (3) and Step (4) facilitate this and eliminate the need to make changes "blindly"; ie make a change, exit the SM and view the results. If no-good, then back to SM to make further changes.

As of now, the Panny looks COMPLETELY different and has luminance (contrast and brightness) that emulate my old Pio 50". Good choice for watching a football game in a lighted/sun cast room.

Give it a try and let me know . . .

Last edited by JimF37; 08-07-2012 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Update to latest settings: 8/6/12
Old 06-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #6
JimF37

Exclamation Using "Standard" mode after V2.1 patch . .

After installing the V2.1 patch and using the TV for 450+ hrs, the TV's picture have become much brighter. So much so, that I've had to change the settings that you see in the previous posts. That's a good thing(!) b/c what appeared to be hazy and lack pop, is now brighter and has screen-pop.

So I experimented with the other modes and particularly like the "Standard" mode with my modified settings.

*** Update: 8/6/12 ***

--Picture menu
Picture mode: Standard

Contrast: +81
Brightness: +54
Color: +31
Sharpness: +50
Color temp: Normal

--- HDMI content: Off

No changes need be made to the W/B drv and cut in the SM.

This mode gives a bright but a bit noisy video with very good color balance. The video is good IMO!

Give it a try and let me know . .

Last edited by JimF37; 08-07-2012 at 01:35 AM.