Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > DIY Calibration - Display Devices > Flat Panels - Plasma > Pioneer

Notices
Old 10-08-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Default 9G Elite Calibration Info from D-Nice and Eliab

For consolidation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous
Hey gang,

Am loving the 111 - BDP-05FD combo using D-Nice ref settings, but since I have DVE blu-ray, I was thinking of trying my hand at it to compare.

I am sure I read something here about the colored filters not matching the colors of the phosphors in the 111, or something along those lines. I also seem to remember seeing suggestions (possibly by D-Nice?) as to how one might compensate for this.

Anyone care to share their experience/suggestions for 1st-time DVE user?

Oh, also, my plan is to leave things alone in the player, only change settings on the display, yes?

Todd
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice
Every single 9G Elite I've come across required a color setting of +3 for proper color per my calibration equipment.....every single one. Using color filters to setup the color on the 9Gs is the wrong approach.
Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply D-Nice, what about grayscale? Worth it to mess around with DVE for that, or am I just wasting time do you think, and would be better off leaving very-well enough alone until a proper calibration can be done at some point?

Edit: Also, I thought your most recent ref settings used a +2?
Quote:
Unless you have calibration equipment, leave it alone. Better yet, just use my settings until your panel can be blessed
Quote:
Edit: Also, I thought your most recent ref settings used a +2?
Quote:
If they do, it's a typo. I'll correct that right now.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Old 10-08-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
Turbe
Professional Supporter

For consolidation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous2
Every time I look at the KURO I see a picture that is too dark. I see partly gloomy days where they should be sunny on the screen. Every time I point that out to a salesman he thinks he can fix that and cannot and eventually agrees with me.
The picture quality is beautiful but the overall picture is so dark at times that darker faces are all dark and features are not distinguishable.
I know this appears on other threads but I really want to see more recent opinions.
Is this a sacrifice I have to make with the KURO?
Quote:
If you feel as if the picture is too dark, which it isn't, based on a store viewing, I recommend you look into LCDs. The KUROS are designed foe people who prefer pure PQ.

BTW, the KUROs are fully capable of getting 50fL+ of peak light output after calibration. Thats about the same brightness you will see on a properly calibrated LCD.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
Turbe
Professional Supporter

For consolidation:
Quote:
Every single 9G Elite I've come across required a color setting of +3 for proper color per my calibration equipment.....every single one. Using color filters to setup the color on the 9Gs is the wrong approach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliab
I recently calibrated a 141, which has a blue-only mode that takes the place of and is more accurate than using a filter. For comparison, I adjusted color via the blue-only mode and then the filter. I found that the filter left me with a setting that was 3-4 clicks higher than the blue-only method. If I were to apply the same rule on 111/151 panels, I'd be left with a color setting of either 4 or 5, which I find to be absolutely correct on these panels. Looks like you're arriving at a very similar setting.

3rd break-in report coming soon.

Eliab

Quote:
The KUROS are designed foe people who prefer pure PQ.
Quote:
Nicely put.

Quote:
BTW, the KUROs are fully capable of getting 50fL+ of peak light output after calibration. Thats about the same brightness you will see on a properly calibrated LCD.
Quote:
I can see this as being very beneficial in a well lit room. But, I can't imagine wanting 50 fl out of these panels in a critical viewing environment - even with a bias light. On the other hand, I've not sat in front of one that was so bright, so I'll reserve my true opinion until the middle of next week when I get to finally calibrate my darn 111!

Eliab
Quote:
You're absolutely right. For critical viewing, one should have a peak brightness of 30-35fL. In a pitch black room, 25fL looks best, IMO.

Quote:
In a pitch black room, 25fL looks best, IMO.
Quote:
Amen....providing that the screen size is under 72".

Eliab
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
LOL. But of course.

Last edited by Turbe; 10-08-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
sillysally

Registered Supporter

I recently calibrated a 141, which has a blue-only mode that takes the place of and is more accurate than using a filter. For comparison, I adjusted color via the blue-only mode and then the filter. I found that the filter left me with a setting that was 3-4 clicks higher than the blue-only method. If I were to apply the same rule on 111/151 panels, I'd be left with a color setting of either 4 or 5, which I find to be absolutely correct on these panels. Looks like you're arriving at a very similar setting.
The person that said you did a 141 calibration post your settings. And In those settings, color is at +12.
So are you saying you have changed you mind and are 4 or 5 on a 141 also?
I also tried the Blue only mode on my 141, and yes that mode did come out as +12. However I found +12 to be much to high. When I did my calibrations without using a filter I came up with a setting of 1.
sillysally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:46 AM   #5
Turbe
Professional Supporter

That's Eliab who did a customer's 141... generally, they don't Post customer settings.

He's saying that using Blue Only Mode he arrived at Color set to 4-5 and he finds/feels this is more accurate than using a filter for these Displays.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:28 PM   #6
sillysally

Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
That's Eliab who did a customer's 141... generally, they don't Post customer settings.

He's saying that using Blue Only Mode he arrived at Color set to 4-5 and he finds/feels this is more accurate than using a filter for these Displays.
Yes you are right, the settings were taken down very fast once the customer found out that the settings were not for posting.

And yes I agree that the blue only mode is better. The strange thing was that Eliab's settings were different than mine, but as with my settings Eliab and I came up with the same results +12 for the color setting.
sillysally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:04 AM   #7
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Default Signature / Elite Monitor - Blue Only Mode and the ISFccc Interface

I just spoke to Kevin Miller this morning who is working on Robert's 141. There is one command that is not included in the ISFccc Interface: Blue Only Mode Off/On. I wanted to post instructions for enabling the Blue Only Mode for the ISFccc Interface.

You need to Set this On outside the ISFccc Interface (before pressing the START CALIBRATION Button in ControlCAL's Display Profile):
  • Using the Display's Remote, Press the HOME MENU Button on the Display's Remote Control.
  • Select Picture.
  • Select PURE for the AV Selection.
  • Select Pro Adjust.
  • Enable Blue Only Mode.
  • Press the EXIT Button the Display's Remote Control.
You can now enter the ISFccc Interface using ControlCAL.

Also, with the 141, he's getting Color +13 when checked with Blue Only Mode (remember, the 141's Color Control has an expanded range).

Last edited by Turbe; 10-10-2008 at 09:22 AM.