Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > DIY Calibration - Display Devices > Flat Panels - LCD > Sharp > Sharp and Elite User Posted Settings

Notices
Old 01-26-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
basstrix
Registered Supporter

Default LC-70C8470U ISF Calibration

I recently purchased this TV and was less than impressed with the picture quality. I played with basic settings (not really knowing what they meant) and was still unsatisfied. Next I picked up the Disney WOW disk and learned a bit about calibration. Doing the most I could with the WOW disk, I was still no better off. I found a number of calibration parameters online and tried them with only marginal improvment in PQ.

I realized that the set needed to be calibrated with a meter and corresponding s/w. I considered a professional calibration, but I've alway been a DIY type, so I decided I'd try it myself. I downloaded HCFR, the AVS709HD test pattern disk, and bought an X-Rite i1 Display Pro (aka i1D3) colorimeter.

I started out working on the Standard and Movie modes. It was a bit of a learning curve, but I was able to improve the PQ substantially. However no matter what I tried, I wasn't able to get a flat gamma curve or delta E's below 3. Setting primaries and secondaries was completely out of the question.

I had read that the ISF modes performed a bit differently than the user-accessible modes, so I picked up a copy of ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2. This program gave the ability to enable ISF Day and ISF Night modes.

With ControlCal I was able to calibrate ISF Night to give a very flat Gamma, Luminance tracked almost perfectly, and RGB balance was very good. dE's less than 3 were obtained as well. Evidenlty, what I had read about ISF modes was correct. They have a greater range of control compared to the user modes.

Thus far, I've been unsuccessful at setting primaries and secondaries with all dE's<10, but I can easily set them to the 75% Saturation points using stereomandan's 75% saturation method (thanks sodaboy for posting up the link). This is where ControlCal really shines. The Hue, Sat, & Value settings for each color are aligned so you can easily jump back and forth as you balance the hue and tweak saturation & value.

There's another chapter to the Sharp saga in an attempt to get a set which can be properly calibrated in Movie and Standard mode, but I've already been way too longwinded already. I'm satisfied with the ISF modes, however.

One other thing I forgot to mention. In doing all these calibrations, I had created a spreadsheet to track what I had tried and took notes on each cal. This was tedious to say the least. With ControlCal, this is as simple as naming and saving a file. It's super-easy to reload settings from back up files for comparison, etc. This is one of the 3 big reasons I like controlcal so much. 1. ISF Modes 2. Layout/ease of calibrating, 3. Backup/Retrieval of settings files.

Here are some screen caps of my results and I've also uploaded a ControlCal xml file if you'd like to give my calibration a try.

As you can see, the primaries/secondaries are still a ways off, but the 75% sat points are very accurate. Stereomandan's spreadsheet has a CIE plot where you can upload data from HCFR and compare.

What I've determined, is that the TV is Red-Deficient...either that or it's outputting way too much blue. In either case, I'm not able to bring red or blue in on the primares, so I've resorted to the 75 sat method.

I've got a call into Sharp to see if they'll do anything...it's been 4 days with no response, so we'll wait a couple more days and see what happens.

Thanks to Turbe, sodaboy, jgreen for their help!

Oh, and here's my setup:

Sharp LC-70C8470U
Onkyo TX-SR606
PS-3
HCFR 3.0.4.0
i1 Display Pro (i1D3)
ControlCAL Elite X5 Edition v2
Attached Files
File Type: zip sh2-isf-night-1-75sat.zip (977 Bytes, 67 views)

Last edited by basstrix; 01-26-2013 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Upload xml as zip
basstrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to basstrix For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Old 01-26-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
basstrix
Registered Supporter

Reserved for follow-up
Old 01-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Turbe
Professional Supporter

How's the image watching your reference content (assuming you have had several days to watch with your settings)?

Lastly, are you inputting RGB or YCbCr (outputting from the PS3)?

Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
basstrix
Registered Supporter

Turbe,

The image is "pretty good". I suppose I would not have gone to the extent thus far if I could have obtained this picture with only minor adjustments.

The PS3 is set to Y Pb/Cb Pr/Cr and Super White is on.

I'd like to compare the output of two Sharp's, in particular, the red output. Do you have a good technique for doing so?

What I've done so far is to load the same cal on each set, then reduce contrast, measure a 100% red window and increase contrast until red luminance stops increasing. Per the GREYSCALE & COLOUR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES this would indicate the maximum contrast/maximum red the display is capable of outputting.

Your thoughts?

BT