Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > ControlCAL - Released Versions > General ControlCAL Discussion

Notices
Unread 01-29-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
Hudda
Registered Supporter

Default ControlCAL on Mac's for Dummies (like me)

Turbe asked me to post some thoughts on using CC for the ahem... challenged.

If you are using a Mac without a Windows partition you might consider a couple of things.

First, if you do not want to create a partition for XP SP2 or Vista on your Mac, you will need to get a hold of a dedicated Windows-based machine with requisite HDD, processor and Ram. The HDD is not really an issue these days given standard very large sizes. The processor needs to run at 2 ghz I believe and minimum ram is 512 MB.

Second, if you have a working Windows partition (Turbe recommends Fusion because of it's useful "Unity" feature), you really should just go ahead and order either the Keyspan USB to Serial adapter or the ControlCAL USB to Serial adapter. These are definitely supported. From what I could tell, most others do not seem to be and they will give you much grief and NOT work.

I tried to use my Macbook to activate the ISFccc modes with ControlCAL and I must say it was a miserable failure. One of the reasons I switched to Apple was ease of use. I did not really want to create a virtual drive with any version of Windows on it. I did successfully create a partition with Bootcamp (I have Leopard) but I could not for the life of me get Fusion to recognize it, hence it did not work. I did try to use the Bootcamp setup which I loaded with XP SP2 to run ControlCAL but here again, I ran into lots of errors and problems. In the end, I just bought a 1 GB memory stick, installed it into a old Compaq desktop I had in the attic and it all worked easily.

Also, if you do decide to use your Mac to create a virtual machine in order to use ControlCAL or any other Windows-based application, do remember you must then load anti-virus software on that partition. Yeah, yeah, I know I'm "supposed" to have it for OSX too but after nearly two years of using my Mac I've had no problems whatsoever and I'm free of expensive and buggy Norton crapware.

And a couple more: Some of the commands Turbe says to use such as Ctrl-V for pasting your name, email addy, and activation key are based on PC keyboards. I'm sure there is a corollary for Mac but you will need to figure this out too unless you use a PC as I recommend.

Don't forget, the Workflow Turbe and D-Nice came up with is only applicable if you are actually calibrating your display using meters, etc.. If you are just activating the ISFccc modes and plugging in D-Nice's settings, the workflow does not apply. Nor does it make sense if you start with p.2 of the profile. P.1 STARTS with Contrast. P.2 does not.

My only other suggestion to you Turbe would be to consider hiring someone who knows how to write detailed instructions for the average consumer (dumbed down) to get folks through the process. This is not a criticism, please don't take it as such. What I refer to is a much-expanded version of you have already done for "first users" in which each and every next step is spelled out precisely. Ex: You say "you don't activate the profiles, you activate CC". Then you say "start CC, then load the profiles into CC" but you don't say how. At least it wasn't clear to me.

All in all, this is a great and CHEAP way to activate your ISFccc modes. Thank you Turbe! You too D-Nice!

Hudda
Hudda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hudda For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Unread 02-01-2009, 03:28 PM   #2
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda View Post
I did successfully create a partition with Bootcamp (I have Leopard) but I could not for the life of me get Fusion to recognize it, hence it did not work. I did try to use the Bootcamp setup which I loaded with XP SP2 to run ControlCAL but here again, I ran into lots of errors and problems. In the end, I just bought a 1 GB memory stick, installed it into a old Compaq desktop I had in the attic and it all worked easily.
Hi, thanks for posting this..

However, there is one major area of confusion..

With VM Fusion (on Intel based Macs), you do not need to (or want to) create a separate partition (and you don't use a current Windows partition created via Bootcamp). VM Fusion creates a virtual partition on your OS X Partition. This is why VM Fusion is the way to run Windows on OS X IMO.

You simply run the VM Fusion Setup/Installer on your standard OS X installation. The Installer will ask for your Windows CD and auto install the best settings for that Windows O/S.

BTW, you don't need to allocate the default 40GB for that virtual windows partition (it will ask during Fusion's installation and you can change it), 10-20GB is fine for ControlCAL unless you plan on running other Windows applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudda View Post
Also, if you do decide to use your Mac to create a virtual machine in order to use ControlCAL or any other Windows-based application, do remember you must then load anti-virus software on that partition.
VM Fusion includes Anti Virus Software (12-month subscription) for free.

The docs could be better but I did post the following:

Step-by-Step: Activating the ISFccc Memories and Entering Posted Settings

Last edited by Turbe; 02-01-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #3
jimnfla
Registered Supporter

My experiences using a Mac are a bit different.

On a desktop MacPro I initially setup Bootcamp with Widows XP. I then used VMware Fusion to create a virtual machine using the Bootcamp partition. I have CalMAN and ControCAL running in Windows XP. I have run CalMAN with a I1Pro to calibrate a nearby Sony LCD TV.

I recently bought a MacBook Pro and loaded Vista on a Bootcamp partition. I have used CalMAN and ControlCAL on the laptop to calibrate my Pioneer Pro-151FD. Absolutely no problem using either program. I activated the ISF Day and Night modes and used D-Nice’s settings as a starting point (thank you D-Nice). A few tweaks to the RGB controls and the measurements looked good enough for the Super Bowl. ISF Day is brighter than Pure with the same contrast setting – from 34 fL to about 48.5 fL.

A minor note – Ctrl-V (paste) and Ctrl-C (copy) are the same on a Mac keyboard as they are on a Windows PC.

Thank you Turbe for your work with ControlCAL. ISF modes do make a difference!
jimnfla is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jimnfla For This Useful Post:
Unread 03-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #4
bgaspers
Registered Supporter

Question COM Port issue in VMware

OK, so I've run into a problem with ControlCal in VMware Fusion. I'm using a Keyspan 19H USB-Serial adapter, which works just fine with VMware Fusion. The problem is, the lowest available COM port available is COM10, but ControlCal only allows you to select up to COM9. This means I can't use ControlCal at all.

Any suggestions, or will an update to ControlCal be needed? The Keyspan adapter had plenty of COM ports available above 10.
bgaspers is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Did you install the Keyspan drivers for OS X? If so, uninstall them. Actually, I would uninstall the Windows drivers first, then the OS X drivers.

Just install the Windows drivers in your VM.
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
bgaspers
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
Did you install the Keyspan drivers for OS X? If so, uninstall them. Actually, I would uninstall the Windows drivers first, then the OS X drivers.

Just install the Windows drivers in your VM.
The Windows drivers are installed in my VM (XP Pro) and the Keyspan adapter is recognized just fine. I never had the drivers installed on OS X.
Unread 03-09-2009, 12:09 PM   #7
Turbe
Professional Supporter

ControlCAL can't use > COM9, I didn't have that problem with the Keyspan drivers in Fusion so I don't know why that happen. Perhaps, look at the Fusion config and see if there is anything that applies..
Unread 03-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
bgaspers
Registered Supporter

I ended up having to reassign the default COM1 to the higher COM range, then reassign the Keyspan COM10 back to COM1. For some reason, VMware still thought COM1 was busy, but a couple restarts fixed that and was then able to run the calibration (or at least put D-Nice's offsets in).

One quick question on the offsets: I'm assuming that if the recommended offset is -10 and my factory setting is 510, then I would put 500 in for the new setting?
Unread 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgaspers View Post
One quick question on the offsets: I'm assuming that if the recommended offset is -10 and my factory setting is 510, then I would put 500 in for the new setting?
correct
Unread 04-19-2009, 08:19 AM   #10
stevec325
Registered Supporter

Default Strange StartUp Error

This is the first application that I cannot get to run under Fusion on my MBPRO.

ControlCal v1_41 gives the following error when started:

"Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up to date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution."

Huh???

UPDATE: I changed the setting in Fusion's "Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Display" to use the DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics option. Odd, that no other software ever used required this setting. But, that change seemed to allow the program to launch.

Last edited by stevec325; 04-19-2009 at 11:24 AM.
stevec325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
gsmith999
Registered Supporter

I got the same message on my Macbook Pro running Parallels. I finally gave up and bought a used PC laptop.
gsmith999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Is there anything like this option in Parallels?

Quote:
UPDATE: I changed the setting in Fusion's "Virtual Machine -> Settings -> Display" to use the DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics option. Odd, that no other software ever used required this setting. But, that change seemed to allow the program to launch.
Is there a setting in regards to allocating Video Memory? If so, make sure there is at least 32MB for Video.

ControlCAL does require DirectX....
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:03 PM   #13
stevec325
Registered Supporter

From what I understand, DirectX 9.0 is not yet supported in Parallels. I've heard reports of some experimental things on the Mac forums that works in varying degrees. Requiring DirectX 9.0 may be a show stopper for using ControlCal with Parallels.

Fusion is vastly superior to Parallels in almost every regard (opinion mine). Well worth the $80 - if just to run ControlCal
Unread 04-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #14
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Directx 8 is all you need and I know ControlCAL runs under Parallels (Intel Mac) because I have Users running it on Parallels.. There must be a setting.

I haven't run Parallels for a long time, so I can't remember.
Unread 04-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #15
stevec325
Registered Supporter

Oh - cool. I didn't look for DirectX 8... just 9.

There probably is a similar setting to that in Fusion, which enables DirectX support. I don't run Parallels either, so I don't have any idea where to look for it in the options.
Unread 05-24-2009, 08:27 PM   #16
bodosom
Registered Supporter

Default ContralCAL under Parallels.

Quote:
There must be a setting.
In the Hardware section of the config you select video. Select enough memory and enable 3d acceleration.
bodosom is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bodosom For This Useful Post:
Unread 07-14-2009, 10:59 PM   #17
TimV
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevec325 View Post
This is the first application that I cannot get to run under Fusion on my MBPRO.

ControlCal v1_41 gives the following error when started:

"Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drivers are up to date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution."

Huh???
I am getting the same error on my MacBook Pro running XP sp2 via Boot Camp. Has anyone else seen this and been able to fix it to where ControlCAL will run? Thanks.
TimV is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 10:57 AM   #18
Turbe
Professional Supporter

He's running Fusion (which requires a specific setting to be enabled 'use the DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics option'), not bootcamp.

Do you have an Intel based Mac? What Video Card is in your model?

Lastley, update XP by using Windows Update (you want to make sure you have a current DirectX version, drivers for your video card too).

Bootcamp should be straight forward (assuming Windows Updates) and most of the Pros that have Macs use Bootcamp vs the Virtual Machine software.
Unread 07-15-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
TimV
Registered Supporter

Quote:
He's running Fusion (which requires a specific setting to be enabled 'use the DirectX 9.0 compatible graphics option'), not bootcamp.

Do you have an Intel based Mac? What Video Card is in your model?

Lastley, update XP by using Windows Update (you want to make sure you have a current DirectX version, drivers for your video card too).

Bootcamp should be straight forward (assuming Windows Updates) and most of the Pros that have Macs use Bootcamp vs the Virtual Machine software.
My machine is a new MacBook Pro, so yes, it is an Intel based mac. The video card is the NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT. I will try to update my video drivers and see if that works.
TimV is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Also, SP3 is available... Many use bootcamp, the issues usual are with those running Windows under Parallels or VMFusion.