Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > ControlCAL - Released Versions > General ControlCAL Discussion

Notices
Unread 05-10-2008, 06:49 PM   #1
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Default SUPPORTED: Keyspan USB High Speed Serial Adapter #USA-19HS

EDIT 1/19/2009: We now have ControlCAL Bundled with the ControlCAL USB to Serial Adapter and Serial Cable (Configured for 8G and 9G Pioneers). Click Here for more information.

Keyspan #USA-19HS - The Other USB Serial Adapter Officially Supported by ControlCAL!

For those that don't have a open serial port on their computer (or none at all), ControlCAL does support the Keyspan USB High Speed Serial Adapter #USA-19HS (tested with XP Driver v3.7S).

You can purchase the Keyspan from:

Keyspan #USA-19HS @ bhphotovideo.com - International Shipping available.

Keyspan #USA-19HS @ amazon.com

EDIT 1/19/2009: We now have ControlCAL Bundled with the ControlCAL USB to Serial Adapter and Serial Cable (Configured for 8G and 9G Pioneers). Click Here for more information.

Installation is straightforward and very easy.

1) Insert the Keyspan USB Serial Adapter Software CD.

2) Select "Install Software" from the Keyspan CD Browser Window (Main Menu).

3) Select your O/S (I selected the Windows XP Installer).

4) Follow the prompts on the Installer and your done (there are only a few steps).

From the Start Menu/All Programs, I selected Keyspan USB Serial Adapter/Keyspan Serial Assistant and checked the default settings (screencaps attached below - Keyspan Assistant 1-5).

I saw the COM9 was assigned to the Keyspan by default. I did not have to change any other settings in the Keyspan Serial Assistant.

More in the next Post....

Attached Images
File Type: png Keyspan Assistant 1.png (8.9 KB, 207 views)
File Type: png Keyspan Assistant 2.png (15.0 KB, 173 views)
File Type: png Keyspan Assistant 3.png (13.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: png Keyspan Assistant 4.png (10.2 KB, 87 views)
File Type: png Keyspan Assistant 5.png (14.1 KB, 129 views)

Last edited by Turbe; 01-30-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbe For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Unread 05-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #2
Turbe
Professional Supporter

In ControlCAL, select Settings/Port Settings and set the COM Port to the Keyspan's - COM9 in my case (screencap attached below).

That's it!

I also attached a screen cap to show that the Keyspan is configured as a standard COM Port in the Device Manager.

One feature I really like is that the Keyspan has a Green LED for power (when the COM Port is opened) but also blinks for each byte sent/received through it. This LED will blink slowly if the COM Port is closed. Nice!

If you have any issues using the Keyspan with ControlCAL, feel free to post them in this Thread.

I highly recommend the Keyspan!

-Turbe
Attached Images
File Type: png CC Port Settings.png (9.8 KB, 149 views)
File Type: png Device Manager.png (25.2 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg Keyspan.jpg (13.6 KB, 1075 views)

Last edited by Turbe; 11-22-2008 at 10:58 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbe For This Useful Post:
Unread 08-31-2008, 07:22 AM   #3
mlaun
Registered Supporter

Hi,

what kind of cable do i need to connect the USB adapter to a Pioneer. Do I need a null modem DB9 or a straighgt DB9 ? Is there a perticular cable recommended?

thanx

(forum search didn't bring up anything for me)
mlaun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2008, 10:13 AM   #4
DisplayHarmony
Charter Supporter

Serial Cable needed for Pioneer Displays (and several other Manufacturers but not all) - will work with the Keyspan:

DB9 Female to DB9 Female Straight-Through.

Last edited by DisplayHarmony; 01-20-2009 at 12:18 AM.
DisplayHarmony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DisplayHarmony For This Useful Post:
Unread 09-04-2008, 07:04 AM   #5
Wolfy

Charter Supporter

Just a quick post to say that now that I'm going from using my stationary computer to a laptop I also purchased the Keyspan #USA-19HS and it works like a charm, thanks for the tip.

For others from Europe who are considering one, I bought it from a company called: Expansys (click on your Country and then do a search for Keyspan).
Unread 09-30-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
PioFreak
Registered Supporter

I got my European 5090 to turn on, then I chose ISF night, and I just saved the default settings. Then I ended calibration, and turned off the power on the display.....all via my laptop connected to my display using the cables recommended by Turbe and Wolfy. When I closed Controlcal I turned my display back on using my remote, and sure enough I saw ISF Night and ISF Day (greyed out since I didn't set this option in Controlcal) as options!!!

The Keyspan works perfect!!!

Thanks Turbe.
Unread 10-08-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
daniel42
Registered Supporter

Just a remark as the keyspan is a bit expensive in europe and there is a solution which does not cost around 40 euros.

I ordered the "Digitus USB zu seriell (RS232) Adapterkabel" from Amazon.de which costs only 3 Euros and you can download a driver on the manufactorers web page (drivers are also delivered on a small size CD - so not suitable for slot in drives!).

And it is working on Mac and Windows. Just keep in mind that you need a 1:1 cable and not a Laplink cable. This was send incorrectly to me. You can simply switch the 2 and 3 pin, then it works...

Daniel
daniel42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2008, 03:04 PM   #8
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalownership
Interesting Turbe. I think I'm going to have to consider this one. Time to start digging around for my old serial cables.

Anyone in the computer field can help me with this question, is connecting to the TV basically the same as connecting as console to a server? You know, when you don't have a head on that server and you go through serial to get to console with a laptop or another computer.
You are probably like me and have many cables, gender changes and null modem adapters around.

I couldn't find my straight-through serial cable (actually gave up after going through a few boxes) so I used a 1' DB9 Female to DB25 Male cable and used a gender changer, null model adapter and a modular console cable (configured null modem) from some US Robotics/3Com Total Control Enterprise Hubs. The blue cable goes to the Pioneer (has another modular connector - DB9 Female).

BTW, null modem is just a cross-over cable. Two serial cables, each configured as null modem, can be connected together to make a straight-through cable.

To Laptop (gray USB cable via Keyspan):

To Pioneer (blue cable):
Unread 11-14-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
maximus74
Registered Supporter

Default USB adapter to serial port

Pls help me with the following situation: I bought the serial cable, as well the USB adaptor; I use a Dell Inspiron 1525 which unfortunatly don't have a serial output. Please can some one give an advice how to set the COM1 (or any other out put) to get the signal throu the USB. Many, thx in advance.
maximus74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2008, 04:58 PM   #10
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Pls help me with the following situation: I bought the serial cable, as well the USB adaptor; I use a Dell Inspiron 1525 which unfortunatly don't have a serial output. Please can some one give an advice how to set the COM1 (or any other out put) to get the signal throu the USB. Many, thx in advance.
I moved your Post here.

You need a USB-to-Serial Adapter. ControlCAL supports the Keyspan (others may work). See the Posts above this one.
Unread 11-14-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
Rabid1
Registered Supporter

I'm having issues getting ControlCal to turn my 6020 on.

I'm using a KeySpan adapter, and it is correctly installed on my 64 bit Vista machine.

The baud rate is set to the default 9600. When I load ControlCal, the green light on the KeySpan goes from flashing to steady.

ControlCal gives no communication errors. All of the ControlCal's settings are set to default.

I click the power on button, it shows the command was sent, but nothing happens, even after over a minute.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Rick
Unread 11-15-2008, 01:02 AM   #12
maximus74
Registered Supporter

Default Hi,Turbe

I have usb-to serial adapter also the cable RS232 but i can't access a com port
requested by the software.My laptop is dell 1525.
Unread 11-15-2008, 09:45 AM   #13
Turbe
Professional Supporter

maximus74:
I'm only familiar with the Keyspan (some USB to Serial Adapters don't work because they don't mimic a Serial Port 100%). Unfortunately, due to many variables, I can only help further if you use the Keyspan (I would try a different Serial Cable - see below).

Find out what COM Port has been assigned to the Adapter (COM1-COM9) and make sure ControlCAL is configured to use that COM Port (with the Keyspan, you could check this from the Keyspan Serial Assistant application).

If you are still having problems, use the links above and purchase a Keyspan which is probably the #1 recommended USB to Serial Adapter (including on AVS).

Also, how confident are you that your Serial Cable is a Straight-Through one (not Null-Modem)? Do a search here and you may be surprised how many people swap out their Serial Cable (which they believed to be Straight-Through) and communication with the Display starts working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid1 View Post
I'm having issues getting ControlCal to turn my 6020 on.

I'm using a KeySpan adapter, and it is correctly installed on my 64 bit Vista machine.

The baud rate is set to the default 9600. When I load ControlCal, the green light on the KeySpan goes from flashing to steady.

ControlCal gives no communication errors. All of the ControlCal's settings are set to default.

I click the power on button, it shows the command was sent, but nothing happens, even after over a minute.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Rick
Rick, sounds like you don't have a Straight-Through Serial Cable, see the last paragraph for my reply to maximus74 (above).... this is the #1 problem (wrong Serial Cable). Search and see how many are confident they have a Straight-Through only to swap it out and it starts working.

Of course, verify what COM Port the Keyspan is set to (you can from the Keyspan Serial Assistant application).

NOTE: I have not done any testing with 64-Bit Vista (it doesn't sound like there is any issue in your case).

Last edited by Turbe; 11-15-2008 at 10:05 AM.
Unread 11-15-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
Rabid1
Registered Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbe View Post
maximus74:
I'm only familiar with the Keyspan (some USB to Serial Adapters don't work because they don't mimic a Serial Port 100%). Unfortunately, due to many variables, I can only help further if you use the Keyspan (I would try a different Serial Cable - see below).

Find out what COM Port has been assigned to the Adapter (COM1-COM9) and make sure ControlCAL is configured to use that COM Port (with the Keyspan, you could check this from the Keyspan Serial Assistant application).

If you are still having problems, use the links above and purchase a Keyspan which is probably the #1 recommended USB to Serial Adapter (including on AVS).

Also, how confident are you that your Serial Cable is a Straight-Through one (not Null-Modem)? Do a search here and you may be surprised how many people swap out their Serial Cable (which they believed to be Straight-Through) and communication with the Display starts working.

Rick, sounds like you don't have a Straight-Through Serial Cable, see the last paragraph for my reply to maximus74 (above).... this is the #1 problem (wrong Serial Cable). Search and see how many are confident they have a Straight-Through only to swap it out and it starts working.

Of course, verify what COM Port the Keyspan is set to (you can from the Keyspan Serial Assistant application).

NOTE: I have not done any testing with 64-Bit Vista (it doesn't sound like there is any issue in your case).
Thanks Turbe. That was the problem. With the right cable things went quite smoothly
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:25 AM   #15
maximus74
Registered Supporter

Default Hi,Turbe

I don't know what is the problem but i can't send the data to my panel.
Everything i do it dosn't work.When i press the power button on ControlCal my plasma didn't receive any signal.My usb-serial rs232 adapter it's working with all
rs232 devices and is compliant with usb v1.1.It is possible to install the ControlCal on another pc without to expire my activation?
Unread 11-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #16
maximus74
Registered Supporter

Hi,Turbe
i have a friend who has a desktop with rs232 out .Is it a good choice for me to go in this way instead to use usb-rs232 serial adapter?Thank you a lot.
Unread 11-17-2008, 12:55 PM   #17
Turbe
Professional Supporter

What about your serial cable? This is the #1 source of communication problems (if you look around this Forum, you will see what I mean, see Post #14 above).

You need a DB9 Female to DB9 Female Straight-Through Serial Cable (not a Null-Model Serial Cable).

Of course, there is a chance that it's still your USB-to-Serial Adapter.. give it a try on your friend's laptop but if your cable is configured as Null-Model it won't work.
Unread 12-20-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
cinergi
Registered Supporter

I just got controlCAL and the Pioneer Elite Pro-111FD display profile along with the special profile that allows you to check the hours on your panel. I wasn't sure controlCAL would work since I use VM fusion (Win XP sp3) on a Mac. Well, at first, it didn't so I assumed it was an incompatibility with fusion so I tried running controlCAL on my PC where it didn't work there either. ControlCAL would freeze when you hit the Power ON button.

After testing 6 different serial cables I gave up but remembered reading somewhere how to test a serial cable with a multimeter to see if its straight thru or null. For those who don't know how to do this: put your multimeter in continuity mode (upside down horse shoe symbol) then stick one probe in any pin on one side of the cable then stick the other probe in the same pin on the opposite side of the cable. If the probes are too thick to fit into the pins stick a paper clip or thumbtack inside the pins then touch the probes to the clip or tack. If you multimeter shows a reading (mine beeped as well) then you have a straight thru cable. To see if your cable might be a null cable stick one probe in pin 2 and the other in pin 3. If you get a reading then it's a null cable.

One out of the 6 cable I tested turned out to be a straight thru. Using this cable made everything work even with fusion on a mac. So, when Turbe says, if you have a problem it's probably your cable, he's right. I didn't believe him. Now I do. Hope this helps any controlCAL newbies out there like me.

Doug

TURBE EDIT:

Last edited by Turbe; 12-20-2008 at 06:26 PM.
cinergi is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #19
select_id
Registered Supporter

ADMIN EDIT: I don't suggest doing what select_id did (exposed wires) and using it with your Pioneer Plasma.

If you have a null modem cable and if your cable socket is removable, you can use it (if you dont use it for another application).

First, only open the one connectors socket and find the colors of 2 and 3 numbered cables.

After that, cut the cable from the middle and connect only three cable, ground to ground, number 2 to number 3 and number 3 to number 2.

Last edited by Turbe; 01-21-2009 at 06:34 PM.
select_id is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to select_id For This Useful Post:
Unread 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #20
Turbe
Professional Supporter

EDIT: I don't suggest doing what select_id did in the Post above (exposed wires) and using it with your Pioneer Plasma.

Yes, basically on a Null Modem configured Serial Cable:

Pin 2 <----> Pin 3
Pin 3 <----> Pin 2

or

Pin 2 Pin 2
X
Pin 3 Pin 3

You want Straight-Through on the Pioneers:

Pin 2 <----> Pin 2
Pin 3 <----> Pin 3

Dont' forget about GND

Last edited by Turbe; 01-21-2009 at 06:35 PM.