Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > ControlCAL - Released Versions > Display Profiles Discussion

Notices
Unread 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #1
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Post ControlCAL's Pioneer 9G Kuro ISFccc / C3 Display Profile(s) Discussion

This thread is specifically for discussing ControlCAL's Pioneer 9G ISFccc (C3) Kuro / Elite Display Profile(s). There are two Display Profile Sets available (Regions1 and Regions2).

ISFccc Software / ISF Software

Display Regions Supported: All Regions.
Current Regions1 Profile Version: v0.4 (Requires ControlCAL).
Current Regions2 Profile Version: v0.2 (Requires ControlCAL).

IMPORTANT:
BEFORE USING THESE PROFILES, PLEASE READ BOTH POST #2 AND POST #3 (below) for Instructions and Control Descriptions (Documentation is attached to Post #2).

NOTE:
This is a Premium Display Profile and requires a Registered, Professional or Professional Plus Activation Key.

Additional Information that applies to the 9G Displays with the ISFccc Interface is available in the 8G ISFccc Display Profile Thread.

-----> NEW CONTROLCAL USER? SEE: Step-by-Step: Activating the ISFccc Memories and Entering Posted Settings.

Pioneer 9G Display Profiles for ControlCAL

Contact Us for download information:

REGIONS1 (Models for North America, Europe [HD Only]) - ISF Day, ISF Night, ISF Auto:
North American Region: PRO-111FD, PRO-151FD
European (including UK) Region: PDP-LX5090H, PDP-LX6090H, KRP-500A, KRP-600A
Australian Region: PDP-LX509A, PDP-LX609A, PDP-C509A
REGIONS2 (Models for Europe [No DTV Tuner], General/China, Australia and Japan Only) - ISF Day, ISF Night:
European (including UK) Region: PDP-LX5090, PDP-LX6090
Australian Region: Model information coming soon
Chinese Region: KRP-500A, more model information coming soon
Japanese Region: Model information coming soon

PROFILE: Pioneer_9G_C3_Regions1_v0-3_P1

PROFILE: Pioneer_9G_C3_Regions1_v0-3_P2

ISF and ISFccc (Imaging Science Foundation Certified Calibration Controls) are trademarks of Imaging Science Foundation.

Last edited by Turbe; 08-04-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Unread 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #2
Turbe
Professional Supporter

9G PIONEER ISF C3 PROFILE CALIBRATION PROCEDURE FLOW

Start ControlCAL
Configure COM Port Settings [MENU/SETTINGS/PORT SETTINGS]
Quote:
Pioneer Displays Default to: 9600 Baud, 8 Data Bits, NO Parity and 1 Stop Bits, NO Flow Control.

If you need to verify/change you Display's Serial Port Settings:
  1. First make sure your TV is in Stand-By mode. .
  2. Continuously hold down the "Home Menu" key and press the "Power" key within 3 seconds (release "Home Menu" after pressing "Power" key). After the Pioneer power's on you should see a menu with COM settings.
  3. Use your "Left" and "Right" arrows to scroll through and locate 9600-232C or the wanted baud rate .
  4. Once selected press the "Power" key to power off the set or the Home Menu Key to exit.
NOTE: Suggested Port Speed: 9600 baud (default).
KRP-500A / KRP-600A NOTE: Use the Serial Port / Service Port on the External Media Box.

IMPORTANT: The Pioneer ISFccc Interface will timeout and return to Normal Operating Mode (auto END CALIBRATION) after 8 minutes of inactivity/not receiving any commands via the serial port. This is normal and part of the Display's safety mechanisms. WORK-AROUND/TIP - Change a Control Setting, simply Press the small SEND Button next to a Control to resend the current value and/or REFRESH every few minutes. The 8 minute setting cannot be changed in the Display or disabled.

PIONEER ISF C3 PROCEDURE FLOW/INSTRUCTIONS
UPDATED: 07/22/2008
Load Profile Part #1 (or Part #2).

From Display Standby...

_1) Press POWER ON Button.
_2) Press the START CALIBRATION Button - Received ISF Level Not Supported Dialog? See below.

_3) Select INPUT and Press SET.

_4) Press ISF DAY MODE (or ISF NIGHT MODE, ISF AUTO MODE**) Button.
_5) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
_6) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display*).
[OPTIONAL - STEPS #7-#9]
_7) Load Part #2 Profile (or Part #1 if #2 is loaded).
_8) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
_9) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display*).
10) Press SAVE.

11) Press ISF NIGHT MODE (or ISF DAY MODE, ISF AUTO MODE**) Button.
12) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
13) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display*).
[OPTIONAL - STEPS #14-#16]
14) Load Part #1 Profile (or Part #2 if #1 is loaded).
15) Press the REFRESH Button (to the right of the SEND ALL Button) to receive the current settings for the Mode from the Display.
16) Calibrate Controls (Press SEND to the right of each Control to send the value to the Display*).
17) Press SAVE.

Repeat Steps 3-17 above for any other INPUTS you want to calibrate.

18) Press the END CALIBRATION Button NOTE: IT CAN TAKE UP TO ONE MINUTE FOR THIS STEP TO COMPLETE!!!!!!!.
19) Press POWER OFF Button.

* If Auto Send is Disabled.
** ISF AUTO MODE is not available in some Models, see Post #1 above for more information.

'RESET CURRENT' BUTTON INFORMATION
This will allow you to Reset the Settings for an INPUT'S Current Mode (DAY or NIGHT) to their Defaults and Reset the Calibration Flag to 0 (like the Mode was never Calibrated).

You can only use this Button once you have Entered Calibration Mode, Selected an Input and Selected DAY MODE or NIGHT MODE.

For example, you want to Reset all the settings for INPUT 1, both DAY and NIGHT MODES.

After Pressing the START CALIBRATION Button:

1) SELECT INPUT 1 and Press SET

2) Press the ISF DAY MODE Button, Press the RESET CURRENT Button.
3) Press the ISF NIGHT MODE Button, Press the RESET CURRENT Button.

Press the END CALIBRATION Button to exit Calibration. NOTE: IT CAN TAKE UP TO ONE MINUTE FOR THIS STEP TO COMPLETE!!!!!!!

Each Input has two Modes... if you wanted to Reset ALL, you would have to repeats STEPS 1 to 3 (of course selecting a different Input).

TIPS AND SUGGESTED OPTIONS
Enable Auto Send (disabled by default) and Disable (uncheck) Error Dialogs (found under Settings in the Menu). When using Auto Send, there should be no reason to use the SEND ALL Button. If an Pioneer Error Code is received, you will still see this in the Terminal Window.

It may be a good idea to Print the Tables.

http://www.controlcal.com/forum/show...36&postcount=3

Two other important bits of information are:
1) concerning the Gamma Controls, each time you change a Gamma Point, you want to Press one of the two Small REFRESH Buttons near the Gamma Controls (Sliders). The Large REFRESH Button in the Main Window will Refresh all Controls including Gamma, the two Smaller REFRESH Buttons only Refresh Gamma.

2) when loading the other Profile (i.e. P2 from P1) and you have already entered Calibration Mode, you do not have to Press the START CALIBRATION Button again. ControlCAL does remember the Input you selected (no need to re-send that) and which Memory you are working on (ISF Day/ISF Night).
Most start with the P2 Profile, make those adjustments and spend the rest only working with P1 (you can refer to P1/P2 as Part #1, Part #2, Page #1, Page #2 or use any term you see fit).

Please see these two Posts (they apply to the 9G's):

Procedure Flow:
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/show...35&postcount=2

ControlCAL.ini settings (speed up REFRESH, auto load one of the Pioneer Profiles on Startup, etc.):
http://www.controlcal.com/forum/show...37&postcount=4
I wouldn't change the AutoSend_Timing Setting, but the other two you would most likely find useful (many use a Value of 200 for Forced_Wait_For for the Pioneer Profiles).

RECEIVED THIS ERROR DIALOG?

If you get the "Display's ISF Level is not Compatible with this Profile" Dialog when you Press the CALIBRATION MODE Button, try again. Sometimes it is best to Select ControlCAL's Terminal Window and Press F12 (which sends a CR Only) after you first start ControlCAL, Load your first Profile and BEFORE you press any buttons, this can prep the Display for communications. If you continue to get this Dialog, verify that your Display is an 9th Generation Model.

RECEIVED THIS WARNING DIALOG?

This Warning Dialog does not indicate an Error with ControlCAL but does indicate that 1 of 2 Error Codes (as configured in the Display Profile) has been received from the Display. This could be due to communication errors, invalid values for the current mode etc.
i.e. Trying to send a value from the RGB-HIGHs (DRIVE) or RGB-LOWs (CUTOFF) Controls without first setting COLOR TEMP to 6 (Manual).

Last edited by Turbe; 02-10-2010 at 02:45 PM.
Unread 06-18-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Turbe
Professional Supporter

PIONEER ISF C3 PROFILE CONTROL VALUE DESCRIPTIONS

UPDATED: JULY 21, 2008

PURE CINEMA
0 - Off
1 - Standard
2 - Advance
3 - Smooth

COLOR TEMP (This Control is also available in Part/Page #1 and #2)
0 -
1 - Low
2 - Mid-Low
3 - Mid
4 - Mid-High
5 - High
6 - Manual <--- REQUIRED FOR SETTING RGB-HIGH (DRIVE) AND RGB-LOW (CUTOFF) CONTROLS

COLOR SPACE
0 -
1 - 1
2 - 2

BLACK LEVEL
0 - Off
1 - On

ACL
0 - Off
1 - On

3DYC
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

I-P MODE
0 -
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3

TEXT OPTIMISATION
0 - Off
1 - On

INTELLIGENT MODE
0 - Off
1 - On

DRE PICTURE
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

ENHANCER MODE
1 - 1
2 - 2
3 - 3

BLOCK NR
0 - Off
1 - On

3DNR
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

FIELD NR
0 - Off
1 - Low
2 - Mid
3 - High

MOSQUITO NR
0 - Off
1 - On

ZOOM
0 - Dot by Dot (FHD Only)
1 - 4:3
2 - Full
3 - Zoom
4 - Cinema
5 - Wide or Wide1
6 - Full 14:9 (All Models except in North America and Japan)
7 - Cinema 14:9 (All Models except in North America and Japan)
8 - Full 2 (Models in Japan Only)
9 - NOT USED
10 - NOT USED
11 - Auto*
12 - Wide 2 (Europe SD Models with Digital Inputs Only - Regions2)

* Auto is effective only when "SIDE MASK DETECTION" is not "OFF" and "AUTO SIDE" is not "OFF" and HD signal is incoming. Screen size is changed to Auto, if this command is entered. (From Pioneer ISFccc Documentation).

INPUT / TUNER TABLE

9th Generation (9G):

Unread 06-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Turbe
Professional Supporter

ControlCAL.ini Setting Descriptions

Default Settings (Note: ControlCAL will default most values if the ControlCAL.ini file is missing or improper values are entered):
Quote:
[Profile]
Forced_Wait_For=-1
Startup_Load="C:\YourProfile.cdp"

[AutoSend]
AutoSend_Timing=15

[PioneerC3]
Line1="calibrated 3/12/2008"
Line2="by your custom name"
Line3="your custom text"
Forced_Wait_For=[-1, 0-2000]
If this is Set between 0ms to 2000ms, ControlCAL will always use this value for the Wait_For Communication Setting instead of the one entered and saved with the Display Profile (helpful if the Display Profile is Locked). This is the time (in ms) between commands sent to the Display. Set to -1 to use the Wait_For value entered and saved with the Display Profile.

Startup_Load=Path/Display Profile
If you want to load a specific Display Profile each time ControlCAL is started, enter the Display Profile's Full Path and File Name within quotes.

AutoSend_Timing=[1-60]
How long the AutoSend Window is open/closed for sending commands when Auto Send is enabled (in ms). The Default [15] will allow commands to be sent approximately once per second. Use a smaller number to allow more steps to be sent per second, larger for less steps. Setting this to 60 would allow commands to be sent approximately once every two seconds.

[PioneerC3]
Line1=
Line2=
Line3=
Requires a Professional Plus Activation Key. The Line1-3 Options allows you to customize the first 3 lines of the text string saved to a Pioneer Display during ISFccc Calibration. Each line can be a maximum of 24 characters. The 4th Line will be saved as " www.ControlCAL.com " (though you may Contact Us for options to remove this branding). Enclose your text within Quotes and use Spaces to center each line as needed. Valid ASCII Character Codes: Decimal 32 to Decimal 126 (HEX: 20 to 7E) - i.e. abcd ABCD !"#$ {|}~.

More information concerning these Settings can be found HERE.
Wolfy tested various Settings and reporting his results HERE.

NOTE:
Make sure ControlCAL.ini is in the same directory as ControlCAL's .EXE.
If you make any changes while ControlCAL is running, you need to restart ControlCAL.

Last edited by Turbe; 08-12-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Unread 06-21-2008, 02:46 PM   #5
Turbe
Professional Supporter

The 9G Display Profiles are Now Available (Models for North America, Europe [HD Only] and Australia Only / REGIONS 1)...

I will be updating the instructions and Input Tables for the 9G's soon.

Pioneer has introduced more variables for entering the ISFccc Modes in the 9G's... if you experience any problems entering this Mode with your Display, please post in this Thread.

Please do Post if your Calibration is successful as well.

Unread 06-22-2008, 08:01 AM   #6
igor74
Registered Supporter

Default Profile request.

I'd like to get the 9G profile for the PRO-151FD.

Thanks.

PRO-151FD (coming shortly)
PRO-1140HD
igor74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #7
Turbe
Professional Supporter

The Display Profiles for the remaining 9G Regions/Models are now available (Regions2).

If you have a LX5090 or LX6090 (European Region including UK) you may want to test these Profiles as the Regions1 Profiles will not work. The Regions2 Display Profiles are for the Models that only have the ISF Day and ISF Night Memories (no ISF Auto).

-Shawn
Unread 07-02-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
Chris Nicholl
Professional Supporter

Morning Shawn,

Did a very quick test with our LX5090 and the page 1 profiles worked.
I will have more time to test these and the page 2 profiles tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

I've sent you a PM with more details.

Cheers,

Chris
Unread 07-02-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicholl View Post
Morning Shawn,

Did a very quick test with our LX5090 and the page 1 profiles worked.
I will have more time to test these and the page 2 profiles tomorrow when I'm back in the office.

I've sent you a PM with more details.

Cheers,

Chris
Great News to wake up to Chris, Thank You for testing the new Regions2 Profile Set so quickly. I look forward to your feedback after you spend more time calibrating a LX5090 (and LX6090 soon I believe you wrote??)....

-Shawn
Unread 07-03-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Chris Nicholl
Professional Supporter

Hi Shawn,

I've now had a chance to check every command with our demo LX5090. All is ok bar a few small problems...

1. Grouped within the picture detail section in the Pioneer menu (DRE pic, black level, ACL & enhancer mode) there is a preset gamma option with a setting of 1,2 or 3 which is missing from the controlCAL settings. Is there any way this can be added?

2. Doing a "send all" command then "save settings" on the page 2 profile does not save the settings (polling the screen resets everything). I am guessing this is due to the Y-Delay giving an error as it cannot be applied to the signal my pattern generator is outputting?

3. Zoom is doing a couple of odd things - Set to 0 for dot dy dot then save. Poll the screen and it comes back set to 11, try to send an 11 code and you get an error. The screen is definitley being set to dot by dot, it seems to be the polling that is the problem.

Cheers,

Chris
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:53 AM   #11
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Chris,

#1 is easy and was/is a common question for the 8G's.. in the ISFccc Mode, the 9-Point Gamma Controls replaces the Preset Gamma Option. There is no Serial Code to access/set the Preset Gamma Option while in ISFccc. I will double check the 9G documentation though. Remember, each time you change a Gamma Point you need to Press the one of the two REFRESH Buttons near the Gamma Controls (Profile Extras Window).

#2 Have you tried the Save Command a second time after the first (SEND ALL, SAVE, SAVE)? Is ControlCAL set to Auto Send? Also, does this happen to Profile P1? I have had suggestions to make available a P2 Profile without the Y-Delay Control or have an option for the User to disable specific Controls. I don't think anyone Posted an issue before regarding this (8G or 9G Profiles), I need to investigate this further. I am assuming if you don't use SEND ALL and have Auto Send Enabled, using the SAVE Button works?

#3 There are new options for the 9G Zoom Control (over the 8G). I need to update this Thread with the valid 9G Tables. The Zoom (Screen Size) Control's Value range has increased to 12 (from 7), but a few Values are skipped/unused and others only work in specific modes. I will get the Translation Tables Posted ASAP.

On another topic, the Pioneer Profiles for ControlCAL were created to start Calibration with the Display Powered Off/in Standby Mode and using the POWER ON Button in the Profile(s). If this is followed, you shouldn't receive the ISF Level Error Dialog... Let me know if you still do sometimes.

Thanks for timely feedback, I appreciate it....

-Turbe

Last edited by Turbe; 09-16-2008 at 09:36 PM.
Unread 07-03-2008, 07:58 AM   #12
Turbe
Professional Supporter

I'd be curious on the Calibration Flow Procedure you are doing with the LX5090, when you get time, can you Post your preferred Flow?
Unread 07-09-2008, 12:18 PM   #13
HDCraig
Registered Supporter

Sean were you still going to add the import/export control value settings option so we can easily save calibration sessions settings and load them at a later time and also the auto refresh option (on profile load and input change)?
HDCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:45 AM   #14
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDCraig View Post
Sean were you still going to add the import/export control value settings option so we can easily save calibration sessions settings and load them at a later time and also the auto refresh option (on profile load and input change)?
Yes, planning to but I don't think I want to add those two options/features in v1.41..
Unread 07-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #15
Chris Nicholl
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Auto refresh would be mighty handy!!
Unread 07-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #16
Chris Nicholl
Professional Supporter

Hi Shawn,

I've tried various things over the last week regarding workflow and Wolfy's 9 part workflow on the 8g thread is the way to go...

Quote:
I use the following workflow:
1. Set black level and then white level using brightness and contrast.
2. Set gamut (primary colors) using Color Management.
3. Set gamma, i.e. a flat gamma tracking using 9 point gamma adjustment.
4. Set grayscale using RGB Highs and Lows.
5. Check and Set secondary colors if necessary using Color Management.
6. Check gamut again, adjust if necessary.
7. Set color decoder using Color and Tint (NTSC).
8. Start from 3 again, when OK advance to 9.
9. Check everything from 1, if OK, calibration is done.
...although I found it easier doing the RGB high/lows first and then doing the gamma controls.

I've tried a couple of 50" screens so far and found the primary colours to be fairly spot on when colour space 2 is used although the secondary colours are a bit off but can be adjusted to be quite accurate.

I need to do another run on our 50" as on my first run adjusting the scondary colours had an odd effect on the greyscale

Chris

Last edited by Turbe; 08-07-2008 at 01:23 PM.
Chris Nicholl is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-10-2008, 12:18 PM   #17
Blutarsky

1st Supporting Member

Hi there everyone, It's a long time have not posted here (thanks Shawn for bringing my attention to Chris' post), almost abandoned calibrating (at the moment!).

Just one question on Chris sequence:

why do you iterate back to n° 3 and not to n°2 ??
I ask so, because usually, once you alter the RGB curves, primaries and secondaries change theyr respective locations, so you need to tweak them again....
Unread 07-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #18
Boonjik

Hi Shawn,

Can I have profiles to test on my coming soon PDP-LX5090H.

Thanks
Unread 07-11-2008, 01:36 AM   #19
Chris Nicholl
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Hi there everyone, It's a long time have not posted here (thanks Shawn for bringing my attention to Chris' post), almost abandoned calibrating (at the moment!).

Just one question on Chris sequence:

why do you iterate back to n° 3 and not to n°2 ??
I ask so, because usually, once you alter the RGB curves, primaries and secondaries change theyr respective locations, so you need to tweak them again....
Hi,

I can't take any credit for the workflow,that is Wolfy's from the 8g thread.

Point 6 recommends to re-check the gamut anyway so there's not much point going back to 2 and I always do a full run from the start when I think I'm happy with everything to make sure nothing odd is happening.

You've had a lot of experience with the 8g screens, what workflow do you use?

Cheers,

Chris
Unread 07-12-2008, 07:41 AM   #20
Wolfy

Charter Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nicholl View Post
...I need to do another run on our 50" as on my first run adjusting the scondary colours had an odd effect on the greyscale

Chris
Cheers for verifying this against a G9. I was hoping that the quirks from the G8 Colour Management would have been less with G9 though.

Unfortunately the Colour Management in the Pioneer is far from complete and gives unpredictable results in my experience. IMHO the Colour Management is best left alone and if used one should be very conservative with the adjustments since like you mention you are likely to mess up the greyscale.

Fortunately the primary colours are very close to Rec. 709 colours when using Colour Space 2.

Do you mean that the secondaries are off before you do the greyscale adjustment and close to standard after greyscale adjustment? If so, then that is as it should be since the greyscale if off from D65 before adjusting it and thus secondaries will be off.

I'll be too busy until late August or September to continue my testing to see if my new i1 Pro will yield a different experience with my G8, but it's always interesting to read about other's experiences.

Last edited by Turbe; 08-07-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wolfy For This Useful Post: