Calibration Forums

Go Back   Calibration Forums > ControlCAL - Released Versions > General ControlCAL Discussion

Notices
Unread 09-23-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Default ControlCAL Reviews & Testimonials

This Post will be updated.

Quote:
Condrum has added ControlCal to its tool box.

As an ISF calibrator ControlCAL enables us to optimize display imaging further than ever before.

The level of control far surpasses our expectations in ISF modes.

ControlCAL documentation is superior to every other product we have ever used.

We highly recommend having your display calibrated using ControlCAL; it just doesn’t get any better than this.

Jeremy Wilson
www.condrum.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
I'm not minimizing the ISF calibration at all, but man oh man, the ControlCal software surely unlocks more of the beast contained within these displays than any ISF calibration alone could achieve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerianne View Post
I was able to run ControlCAL yesterday for the first time. Although the documentation is VERY thorough, I was still a little nervous about screwing up the terrific calibration that had been done on my Pro-111FD back in November (by Kevin Miller) by doing something I shouldn't do.

No need!! The software is terrific and is super easy to use! Since I was not doing any calibration of my own, merely making a couple of small adjustments to the ISF modes, I used the steps outlined here by turbe specifically for entering settings. Worked great!

Thanks so much, turbe, for a great, easy-to-use, affordable piece of software and thanks for providing such extensive documentation (the worst part, isn't it?)!

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Blackburn
The 5020/6020... hmmmm, after a ControlCAL calibration I can't tell that the picture is not as good as an Elite Kuro unless I have the 5020/6020 right next to an Elite Kuro with the same Blu-ray feed. So I guess I'd have to put either Kuro series on the top of the heap by a significant margin with Elite Kuros having a slight edge. All Kuros have a sharper image too... looks more focused than a Samsung or Panasonic
Quote:
Let me first state that I do not think that calibrating the Pioneer 9G panels via the ISFccc mode is a waste of time. ControlCal is a very well designed tool that will allow one to attain maximum performance from these displays. I myself own the software and will be making this option available to my Pio-9G clients. However, instead of using the ISF Day and Night modes for the purposes intended by Pioneer's marketing department, at Avical, we will be using the Day mode for a reference D6500 color temperature setting for color presentation and the Night mode to support a 5400K setting for B&W presentation.

Eliab
Avical
Quote:
Personally I LOVE IT and think you did an outstanding job with ControlCal! The flexibility that it affords can be incredibly beneficial in some systems (like mine ).

Eliab
Avical
Quote:
ControlCAL has allowed me unprecedented access to the ISF interface on Elite displays and the service menu of the non-Elite sets. Calibration results have been in a word, astounding. There is truly no more accurate or better performing direct-view television available today.

~

The other really cool thing about the ISF modes is they are brighter than either the Pure or Movie modes. You get a perfect color gamut, ruler flat gamma and over 50fl peak light output!

Chris Eberle
Precision Video
Posted Here

Quote:
One of my customer had Kevin Miller perform a ControlCAL ISFccc calibration on his 151FD and this great gentleman gave me one of the nicest phone calls I have ever received. Without using all of the beautiful adjectives I'll give you the short version... This panel give me such a real picture it looks like I'm in the movie.

So for those of us who want to have a true "in movie" experience go get yourself a Kuro panel and have it ControlCAL ISFccc calibrated.

Thanks to Pioneer for developing and building these great panels and especially D-Nice, Kevin Miller, and turbe for unleashing all of the power of these extraordinary displays.

-Robert
ValueElectronics.com
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=5857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
I find the biggest benefit to using ControlCal & the ISFccc mode is to expand the dynamic range of the picture, for lack of a better description. Without any eye fatigue, I can produce a picture with brighter whites and no crush, while maintaining the colors, blacks and shadow detail the Kuros are known for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deterministic View Post
I am an ISF Certified Calibrator and have used ControlCAL on two Pioneer Elite 9G plasmas so far (one being my own). I congratulate you on the software - it works and does what it's advertised to do. I have had no problem with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarek
I have callibrated today LX5090H and I was amazed how practical your software is.[/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2]I saved a lot of time using your software in comparition to C3Remote from ColorFacts package.

Jarek
http://audiofast.pl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PioFreak View Post
Also AVS Member: gamelover360. Controlcal works great! My first night trying it I followed your instructions exactly and it worked flawlessly. I am not a computer guru or wizard, but I had no problem following the directions that are provided in this forum. Special thanks to Wolfy as well.

I got my European 5090 to turn on, then I chose ISF night, and I just saved the default settings. Then I ended calibration, and turned off the power on the display.....all via my laptop connected to my display using the cables recommended by Turbe and Wolfy. When I closed Controlcal I turned my display back on using my remote, and sure enough I saw ISF Night and ISF Day (greyed out since I didn't set this option in Controlcal) as options!!!

Thanks Turbe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhatesony View Post
After having my Pro-111 calibrated with the use of ControCal by Mr. D-Nice himself about 3 weeks ago, I have been a huge supporter/promoter of ContralCal and the terrific job it does in helping us 9G Elite owner's activate these fantastic ISFccc profiles.

Since I like to have control of being able to tweak certain picture settings, such as contrast or sharpness that won't harm the overall fantastic calibration performed by D-Nice, I decided to get ControlCal myself so I can access the ISFccc profiles without having to pay a pro calibrator to make a simple adjustment for me.

I have to admit, especially since I'm not incredibly computer savvy, I was pretty nervous about trying out ControlCal but thanks in large part to turbe and his step by step directions I'm happy to say I was worried about nothing because ControlCal worked perfectly for me.

Like I said, the only thing I ended up adjusting was the contrast controls for ISF day and I didn't dare touch the other settings D-Nice worked so hard to bring to perfection. (Yes turbe, I wrote my settings down like you recommended ) ControlCal is definitely a very cool tool and I thank you very much turbe for taking the time to help me through out the process
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhateSony
As some of you may know my pro-111 was calibrated by D-Nice who used ControCal to activate and calibrate my ISF modes. To this day I have been in complete ISFccc video mode bliss About 2 weeks ago I decided to get ControlCal for myself so that I can unlock my ISF day memory and make a minor tweak on my contrast settings.

I decided that even though at the time D-Nice set the contrast on ISF day just the way I wanted it, which I believe was about 42 or 43 ftl, I wanted just a little more pop for my daytime viewing in my sun lit living room. Of course thanks in large part to the dynamic range of the ISF modes I was able to kick it up to around 49 or 50 ftl which for ME and my viewing enviorment during the day is perfect Please keep in mind the contrast control is ALL I messed with! I didnt dare touch or adjust any other settings that D-Nice worked so hard to bring to perfection.

So if your intrested in activating the ISFccc controls but are hesitant to use ControlCal, DON'T BE! I myself am not particularly computer savvy and was able to figure out how to use it thanks to turbe and his easy step by step instructions. It's really a cool and easy to use piece of software that unlocks these great ISFccc modes and if you already have your set broken in and would like to get some reference settings to get you started check out Controcal's website on the calibration thread where D-Nice has some posted settings for ISF day and ISF night. That said, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND that you eventually have the ISFccc modes professionally calibrated since only then will you see the true potential of your 9G Elite.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=6732

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Just used ControlCal for the first time last night on my 141 and all I can say is WoW. What a valued piece of software this is for calibrating your 141 in ISFccc mode.
Now I can unlock my ISFccc controls and set them up for day, night and auto. Once you get the hang of this great software, it is easy to use in conjugation with your calibration software. I use Calman.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurry_eyed
The calibration made the picture look even more 3-dimensional and life like. I did some critical viewing last night with some BD movies (Ratatouille & Cars) and the dimensional quality of the animation just popped out of the screen after the tweaks. I also noticed additional details in the movie that I had never seen before (and I’ve watched them dozens of times with my 4 year old son). I give the Kuro a rousing endorsement, especially after tweaking it. The only downside on the Kuro is it’s tendency to have an audible buzzing sound. It seems as if there is an issue with how the glass is bonded to the panel and that causes varying degrees of ‘Buzz’. My level of buzz is pretty negligible, but there are owners out there that have returned their sets because they just couldn’t handle the buzz level.

Thanks again for the great software. It’s allowed me to get the full potential out of my monitor!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post
I finally had the opportunity to use ControlCal and I wanted to
say how easy it was to use.

I have to admit I was a little nervous before trying because I
am not very computer savy but I followed the excellent instructions
and input ISF night and ISF day settings rather easily.

Mike

Last edited by Turbe; 07-09-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Turbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Register to remove these ads. It's free!

Register to remove these ads. It's free!
Unread 12-29-2008, 02:38 PM   #2
Turbe
Professional Supporter

more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemath
I am all set up now for isf day/night for inputs 5,6,7 on the 151. It doesn't seem so much brighter, yet the pop factor is there. It is daytime right now, and the isf day looks the better than pure....so all is well.

It seems my issues were with a driver, and maybe a com port mismatch between the usb to serial cable, and the com port selected on control cal.

Thanks for the pointers over the last day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vonbek777
Just a quick update, I have been really busy lately and haven't been able to post. I have a 151 and while I have been happy with my purchase I wished I had a little more punch for sports and was never totally happy with the various settings I tried. Well after researching ControlCAL, and making sure I was comfortable with the process, I took the dive and purchased the software and the Keyspan USB/Serial adapter. My wife and I activated the ISF modes on Christmas Eve, and the difference is amazing. ISF night with DNice's settings is simply the best I have seen a blu-ray look. ISF day makes football look glorious. This is what I wanted out of my 151, and now I have it. I urge all of you guys on the fence to take a chance, ISF night and day modes make this tv shine. Thanks Turbe and DNice for all your hard work, watching Ole Miss and Utah win last night with these new settings....it was better than being there.
Posted: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=2695

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin (AVS Super Moderator)
perfect: the software, the results

Thank you so much

Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroman09 View Post
Hi guys,

I am Chadmak09 from the AVS forums.
Some of you may already know me.

Well,
I just got ControlCal and Now I am good to GO!

I now have my ISF mode (just ISF-Day so far) activated and have entered D-nices reference settings.

This was a very inexpensive and easy task!

Controlcal makes it extremely easy and Turbes step-by-step instructions for the 9G Elites are simple!

To be honest, I was cautious about doing it and was worried about messing something up.
But after doing it I realize I had no reason to worry. Actually it was pretty FUN!
This was very easy.

I started up ControlCal and entered D-nices settings per Turbes step-by-step instructions and BAM!
There were the ISF A/V modes in my A/V selections right there with Pure,optimum,etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Boden View Post
I fired up ControlCAL for the first time yesterday and set up both ISF Day and Night settings for my 111FD. It's amazing how much punch ISF Day has compared to ISF Night. They both have their purpose and show the power of opening up the ISFccc interface. I also did the side mask adjustment (set it to zero) and love the black instead of grey bars for 4:3 material.

Thanks to Turbe for the great software and documentation plus to all those who have shared their experiences and settings on this and the AVS forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slavikk View Post
Had to borrow a laptop from a friend in order to do this, but here are my impressions of the software. It's very easy to use! That's it! Its a great piece of software. Had a few questions for Turbe before and after using ControlCal and unlocking ISF Day and Night modes. Notice I said before and after? Not during? And to Turbe's credit, he answered my email within 10 minutes each time. Must have a Blackberry? To anyone that's uncertain about the "complexity" of using ControlCal. Don't be! The step by step instructions are easy to follow. Turbe, I would have posted this earlier but was to busy watching Blu Ray movies all night long yesterday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10
ControlCal is a breeze to use, very user friendly
as long as you follow the directions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alettiere
I was actually surprised at how simple ControlCal was to use by following the instructions
Quote:
Originally Posted by stedmakr
5020 Calibration - I calibrated the gray scale with control cal using D-Nice's settings. I don't think that you should have to calibrate a new $2000 TV. But I did and it makes a difference. The first thing I noticed was the whites were whiter.

Last edited by Turbe; 03-09-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Turbe
Professional Supporter

more:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadmak09
Well,
I posted this in the general 9g thread but i figured I would post it here also since this is where most go because it is a sticky.

I just got ControlCal and I now have my ISF mode (just ISF-Day so far) activated and have entered D-nices reference settings.

This was a very inexpensive and easy task!

Controlcal makes it extremely easy and Turbes step-by-step instructions for the 9G Elites are simple!

To be honest, I was cautious about doing it and was worried about messing something up.
But after doing it I realize I had no reason to worry. Actually it was pretty FUN!
This was very easy.

I started up ControlCal and entered D-nices settings per Turbes step-by-step instructions and BAM!
There were the ISF A/V modes in my A/V selections right there with Pure,optimum,etc.

Just like This:

I compared my Pure mode (which was using D-nices reference color settings and I used Test patterns on DVE disk to calibrate my contrast,brightness,etc.) to the ISF-Day mode (with all of D-Nices reference ControlCal settings), And I definitly notice more "pop". It seems to look more accurate and looks to have increased the overall brightness a bit.

I am just getting started here, so I am sure I haven't seen everything that ControlCal can do for my Pro-151FD. But so far I am already seeing the benefits.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post15525507
Unread 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #4
Bigwaved
Registered Supporter

I am very pleased with the results following my use of the ControlCal software and serial cable bundle. Everything worked like a charm once I received some gentle guidance from Turbe. My suggestion to anyone who has not tried this before is to resist doing it after a full day at work and a house with a lot of commotion going on in the background. Almost every issue I encountered was of my own doing.
Bigwaved is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:27 AM   #5
nd4spd
Registered Supporter

Hi Turbe

Just to let you know that I have successfully activated the ISFccc day and night memory presets using your software. For the moment I am using the settings posted in the 5090H thread except that I found that a contrast setting of 35 on ISFday is too bright for normal watch (controled light environment) so I am using the night and day presets with the same contrast setting (25) but with different Purecinema settings. I still have ISFauto and don't know what to do with it…J

Please allow me to thank you for your great software and step by step instructions; it was a real pleasure to use it.

Will get a meter in 1-2 months and will refine these settings.
nd4spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
SumSuperman
Registered Supporter

I just got done adjusting the RGB settings on my 5020 and I can't say enough how pleased I am. The process was straight-forward and the step-by-step directions were very helpful. I can already tell the improved picture greyscale by switching between Advance and Standard in the Pure Cinema settings. Everything now looks more natural as it should. Thanks for a great product and all the contributors on this forum!
SumSuperman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
KCDoug
Registered Supporter

Default Non Elite Worked Well

Just a note of thanks to Turbe for quickly getting me the right profile info. for my 5020FD on a Saturday morning.

And my kind thanks to D-Nice for his generosity in freely sharing his expertise and calibration settings for the non-elite Kuros. Doing so provides a welcome option to have a pretty nice picture, as close as possible to an individual professional calibration which helps me further enjoy the privilege of being able to acquire a great plasma. (Can't help but feel a little bad for those consumers who buy one and use Pioneer's recommended settings. )

I'm happy to report that taking the extra time to read through D-Nice's instructions and organizing my papers and set up stuff up so that I could conveniently record my baseline settings and pre-calculate my new settings to easily input & save them seems to have paid off. I used my own DB9 cable and adaptors, and an IBM laptop w/docking station that provided the right connectivity.

All in all it went pretty smoothly. My only improvement suggestion to Turbe would be to remove the old instructions (that you say to ignore) included with the profile download and replace with D-Nice's step by step info.

Really appreciate the service - much as I'd love to have a professional calibration, budget priorities are preventing that from happening anytime soon (2nd daughter getting married this spring and recovering from recent layoff). My hat's off to Turbe and D-Nice as well as many others who have contributed constructive insights here and at AVS.

*Okay, now that I think of it, one minor gripe: My 1080i HD cable channels sometime appear a little grainy; it's more noticeable on some scenes than others. Conversely it's not noticeable on the same cable content on my older 720p Pioneer 5060, nor is it as noticeable with my Oppo 971 DVD player that is upscaling to 720p on the 5020. (I'm waiting for a replacement remote for the OPPO so that I can try to upscale to 1080 to see how that looks.) I hope to add BD in late summer or fall.)

Cheers,
-Doug
KCDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
squire23
Registered Supporter

I purchased the ControlCal bundle and am very pleased with the entire experience. The cables were received from Turbe in just a couple days and I was able to input D-Nice's offsets fairly easily. The whole process took about 20 minutes. The whites have been cleaned up and movie mode has a little more "pop" to it. It's nothing drastic (which it really shouldn't be because the picture was already great) but there are noticable improvements to the picture. What was great now seems just about perfect.

The only suggestion I have is to maybe have a little more instruction on opening the ControlCal software and profile. I was able to figure it out, but had some minor problems. First, the software defaulted to COM1. I needed to change it to COM8 per the port I used on my laptop. Also, it seems like common sense, but once I opened ControlCal, it took me a couple minutes to realize I needed open the profile for my 5020 using File/open from within ControlCal. For some reason I thought the profile would open automatically once I put in my activation key. Finally, after inputing the offsets and powering off the monitor, I was not sure if I should unplug the cables at that point and close out of ControlCal while the monitor was off, or if it should have been done after the monitor was turned back on. I'm guessing it did not matter either way.

All in all these were minor I was able to work through them. Great experience overall.

Thanks to Turbe and D-Nice for enabling me to do this!
squire23 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 09:29 AM   #9
corpfan1
Registered Supporter

I agree with all your points...

Maybe someone can write up a "more detailed" step by step for the person who is afraid of doing something wrong the first time...

I was - but after playing around and realizing how things really work - it is a piece of cake.

There is really NOTHING to worry about - you can even plug in the cables while your tv is on, etc...but I understand the warnings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squire23 View Post
I purchased the ControlCal bundle and am very pleased with the entire experience. The cables were received from Turbe in just a couple days and I was able to input D-Nice's offsets fairly easily. The whole process took about 20 minutes. The whites have been cleaned up and movie mode has a little more "pop" to it. It's nothing drastic (which it really shouldn't be because the picture was already great) but there are noticable improvements to the picture. What was great now seems just about perfect.

The only suggestion I have is to maybe have a little more instruction on opening the ControlCal software and profile. I was able to figure it out, but had some minor problems. First, the software defaulted to COM1. I needed to change it to COM8 per the port I used on my laptop. Also, it seems like common sense, but once I opened ControlCal, it took me a couple minutes to realize I needed open the profile for my 5020 using File/open from within ControlCal. For some reason I thought the profile would open automatically once I put in my activation key. Finally, after inputing the offsets and powering off the monitor, I was not sure if I should unplug the cables at that point and close out of ControlCal while the monitor was off, or if it should have been done after the monitor was turned back on. I'm guessing it did not matter either way.

All in all these were minor I was able to work through them. Great experience overall.

Thanks to Turbe and D-Nice for enabling me to do this!
corpfan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #10
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj121391
After Break in and setting D-Nice's settings with ControlCal, Blu-ray is truly AWESOME what a great 3D Dimension the Picture has now, not that is was bad out-of-the-box. But now it is Breathtaking
Posted Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpalcott
When I first got my 5020, I went through the break-in process and then put D-Nice’s initial settings into Movie Mode. I thought it looked pretty bad. Whites were yellow, everything looked pretty bland. I was really pretty disappointed with my new purchase. Then I got ControlCal and put in D-Nice’s offsets and his post-controlcal settings and my set came to life. I was blown away by the difference (Thank you D-Nice and Turbe).
Quote:
Originally Posted by heatwave3 View Post

I personally never fully appreciated how much work must have gone into the effort until I purchased ControlCal, followed your break-in steps EXACTLY and applied your settings. I really couldn't be more pleased with the results as I find the ISF Day, Night and Auto settings to be the modes that my family appreciates the most.

From my family to your's...without further delay....thank you for the significant effort you must have put into the calibration effort for these panels. I certainly think the full value and scope of the work you did is somewhat underappreciated (or at least it was by me). I'm glad to have learned about ControlCal, and your methodology for maximizing the full value of my 151. The difference between my panel without the ISF mode options vs the factory modes on an Elite is quite significant to my eyes and without question worth the time it took to follow the path you laid out for all to benefit from. Some will follow and some will take a different path. I for one, am glad I followed your advice.
Posted Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd1
for anyone on the fence, ControlCal's definitely worth trying, even if you only use it w/ D's offsets, his numbers are very good starting points & will improve your PQ. the 5-6 hrs total i spent & learning process was also worth it for me. thanks again to Turbe & D-Nice !
Posted Here

Last edited by Turbe; 04-06-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Unread 03-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
BLT
Registered Supporter

I purchased the ControlCal bundle from Turbe and could not be happier I ran the breakin dvd on my Pro 151 and than input D-Nice settings for pure mode and was quite happy with them.

I received my cable and USB adapter and put in D-Nice's ISF day and ISF settings using ControlCal. To you Turbe,this is an awesome program and I want to thank you for your efforts and also to D-Nice for his work in providing the settings for my display.

The difference to my eyes comparing pure and the ISF modes is really remarkable. The added depth to the picture,the colors and detail are really brought out using these modes. I would have a real hard time if I had to go back and watch pure mode only,even though it is very good, it does not compare to the ISF's.

Thanks again for your quick responses to my e-mails,and D-Nice for the settings.

Happy viewing
Bob
BLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 05:57 AM   #12
auro82
Registered Supporter

After waiting for the 3rd world italian postal service, finally yesterday I've received the ControlCal USB bundle. Everything is working well. This weekend I'm sure I will enjoy to test different settings for my 5090H.

Thanks again Turbe, for this wonderful software.

bye

Roberto
auro82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #13
Rise23_Blu
Registered Supporter

Smile Great Product!

Thank You, Turbe for providing such an easy to use product. I calibrated my Pro-111 today and it was a piece of cake. To anyone that's not sure about DIY, don't worry DIY! Get D-Nice's settings and tweek them to your liking and don't look back!
Rise23_Blu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #14
tweis
Registered Supporter

Smile Great tool!

I unlocked the ISF modes over the weekend. ControlCAL worked just as advertised. Thanks Turbe for making this software available for all of us Pioneer owners.

I'm thinking of getting a meter in a few months and try a little DIY calibration. The Chroma 5 seems like a good trade-off between price and accuracy. Any amateur calibrators have any experience with this meter and the Pio Elites?
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2009, 12:44 PM   #15
Steevo25
Professional Supporter

ControlCAL is an absolutely fantastic product. I have the 9G Region 2 profile and the 8G profile for my 2 sets. They both work perfectly and are extremely easy to use. Also, the response from Turbe has been excellent. Even though there is an 8 hour time difference between us everything from purchase to activation code was sorted very quickly.
Steevo25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #16
Turbe
Professional Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoad
I would first like to say many thanks to Turbe for his patience and help over the weekend in helping me get ControlCal installed on my computer. Once installed, its a really easy program to use. The ISF modes are great, and for all of you guys on the fence about whether or not to get ControlCal I heartily say DO IT! The picture is significantly improved on my 151 running D Nice's settings.
Unread 04-22-2009, 08:26 PM   #17
john770g
Registered Supporter

As a DIY'er armed with just enough information to possibly make fiddling with the 9G's settings a 'dangerous' affair, I can only echo comments previously made. Using ControlCal in accordance with the instructions provided by Turbe to input D-Nice's reference settings, the process couldn't have been easier. Comparing 'standard' settings to the newly created ISF-day and night settings programmed with ControlCal, well...there just isn't any comparism. Too easy an affair to be dismissed as too 'complicated' to accomplish by the DIY'er.

To add, a quick thanks to Turbe for the time and effort you exert on not only ControlCal itself, but perhaps moreover your dissemination of endless bits of information and query responses that feed the mouths of all us A/V junkies. As I read through the countless number of threads you've authored and posts in which you've provided assistance, both here and at AVS, I'm certain that your selflessness has no doubt been of benefit to hundreds, if not thousands.

Thank-you, and cheers to you Sir.

John
john770g is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:34 PM   #18
Spoonyg
Registered Supporter

Default Just Finished ControlCal on my Pioneer 111fd

Can't say enough about how easy it is to use ControlCal. It seemed very complex in the beginning. I admit it was a little intimidating. But after following the step-by-step instructions, I was surprised at how easy it was. In fact, I was so surprised that I thought I missed something. Couldn't be this easy. Guess What? It is. Turbe - Not sure where you get your patience from my friend but God Bless You. ISF Day/Night are pretty much all I use. Not sure how much better a full calibration will improve so I'll leave it at that for now. Great Product.
Spoonyg is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
humble_t
Registered Supporter

I've been reading through these posts for about 3 weeks now in anticipation of my Kuro 5020's delivery. The panel came in and I ran break-in images on a thumbdrive with d-nice's settings for +or- 200hrs. On Saturday I made a contribution for controlcal and on Sunday turbe quickly sent out the registration info and the profile.(thanks turbe!) Setup was pretty straight-foward as was inputing the settings. Printing the instructions and reading them over a few times before the process made things very clear.

I must say that the panel looks great. Whites most definitely look more natural. Reading these posts and following these instructions have allowed me (a total novice) to approach a PQ seemingly reserved for those who can afford a professional calibration or the expensive gear and the knowledge to use it. I sincerely thank everyone who has and will continue to contribute to this topic. Looking forward to learning more.
humble_t is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2009, 10:01 AM   #20
tcwerner
Professional Supporter

Default ControlCAL a must for pro calibrators

I just used ControlCAL for the first time on my own Pro-111FD and I have to say how pleased I was with the results. All controls work well and I was easily able to set up my laptop with all programs and windows running. I already have a Pioneer calibration job out of the deal as well. Easily worth the price of admission. I just hope you guys develop more profiles for more brands so I can always use this when calibrating!
tcwerner is online now   Reply With Quote